Tubeless question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Interesting thread; Ive just gone tubeless on my CX bike a few weeks back, and love it so far - feels much faster on the road, don't know if it's me, my imagination, or the benefits you get from tubeless but I've got quite a few PRs on segments I've previously tried hard with my road bike on. Anyway, I got a puncture during an offroad night ride in the week - was a strange experience, heard a bit of a noise like I'd picked up a leaf in the wheel rim or something, and got splashed with a few white drops of sealant on my calf - lasted maybe 5 or 6 pedal rotations and then the noise went and all was back to normal. Lost a little pressure and a fair bit of sealant, but I carried on, set a PR up the next hill :ohmy: and carried on my way home from there. When I got home I used the track pump to see Id lost around 10psi - I'm running them at about 55-60 normally, so 45ish was fine. Couldn't see where the puncture was, quite a bit of sealant on frame of the bike, but I topped up the air then (weds), checked today (fri) and its held all the pressure ok. (Schwalbe G-Ones)

My question is - should I top up the sealant now I've had a puncture, or should I just wait a few months and top it per normal routine? I don't have a valve core removal tool - I put the sealant in before inflating - is it just a case of deflating, popping the bead off the rim, pouring in some more sealant then pumping it back up again?

Next job I think will be converting my road bike wheels tubeless if I can work out if they will support them :-)

[QUOTE="RussellZero, post: 5381815, member: 23957"...set a PR up the next hill :ohmy: and carried on my way home from there. When I got home I used the track pump to see Id lost around 10psi - I'm running them at about 55-60 normally, so 45ish was fine....[/QUOTE]

Do you think running a slightly lower pressure up the hill help with the PR? I ask because after switching to tubeless some years ago and being able to run lower pressures (28-30 on 2.5" tyres) I've felt I'm generally quicker over the rough stuff.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Do you think running a slightly lower pressure up the hill help with the PR? I ask because after switching to tubeless some years ago and being able to run lower pressures (28-30 on 2.5" tyres) I've felt I'm generally quicker over the rough stuff.

Yes - I think that's part of it, but I think there are multiple factors - maybe the lower weight is a bigger advantage than I thought - maybe these tyres are just generally better (I've previously fitted had rocket ron's on which have a bit more tread than the g-ones). I can see why lower pressure would make you faster over rough surfaces, certainly not being bounced all over the place is an advantage and you feel like you can just keep powering on through everything.

Top Bottom