tubeless ready from the store

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eric Lucero

I bought a pueblo nishiki bike from the store that had tubes in it already but I read that some tires come with tubes but you can make them tubeless. how do I know that I can make my tires tubeless

si_c

Guru
Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Tubeless requires both the rim that the tyre sits on and the tyre itself to be compatible. Unless the wheel itself has "Tubeless Ready" or "Tubeless Compatible" written on it or the manual says that it's ready then I'd suggest it's unlikely to be compatible out of the box.

Essentially to work with tubeless there has to be a much tighter interface between the rim of the wheel and the tyre and the rim has to be able to be sealed so that the sealant that is used doesn't leak out through the holes for the spokes. The tire also has to be made a bit stronger so that it keeps it's shape better as well without a tube.

You can try and see if you can convert the existing wheels to tubeless if they are not already - search online for "ghetto tubeless setup" and there are plenty of tutorials and guides about how you do this, but be aware that it might not work and you may end up going back to using tubes anyway.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Assuming this is the 'Dicks' bike, then the wheels are not tubeless ready. You could Google 'Ghetto Tubeless' if you are interested in experimenting.

This graphic is also pretty useful for those wheels which are not marked.
1601556839747.png

Top Bottom