Tubeless Seating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SirDickieBird

First time with tubeless (self-setting-up rather than already done).

Got the tyres on. Got inflated and added sealant. Held pressure overnight. Only thing is, there wasn't a lot of the "popping" and cracking you hear on the old YouTube videos.
What do I need to do to check all okay before heading off? Don't want a sudden deflate and to ruin my new rims!

If you are worried inflate them to 150 psi. (Then release some pressure!)
If they are still inflated then they are sealed. Mine don't always pop. Some do, some don't.

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

150psi! I can try... thanks

They seem bloody firm at 110psi but could go a step further and i guess that means they're on there. Like I said, kept pressure overnight well so hopefully not far off and they seem even when I look at the sidewall markings.

There's a whole raft of "air shot" devices out there but I just used standard Joe Blow track pump and they went up fine which makes me wonder.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The airshot devices are only required to get that 1st seal, not to seat the beads. If the tyres hadn't sealed on the rim you would still be pumping with your joe blow so you definitely don't need airshot assistance this time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As @figbat says, an inspection should tell you.

It's possible the tyre has sealed but not seated, although with 110psi in there, I would be confident both has happened.

I take it you are aware a benefit of tubeless is the ability to run lower pressures.

In other words, you may need to whack 'em up high on installation as you've done, but you then reduce the pressure for riding.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It varies a lot and you don't always need CO2 or a rush pump. I've seated big tubeless ride-on mower tyres with just a footpump before.

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

Thanks for the reassurance. Yes, I did let some air out. 110psi was just to check seating! They've survived around 50 miles (not been able to get out much) and stayed up all week so looks like it worked.

Top Bottom