Tubeless Tyre Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
This is what we use on Motorcycle (and Car) tyres, the mushroom is bonded in from the inside and once fitted is classed as a permanent repair.

I would class any roadside tyre repair as temporary and has been said above really should be patched from the inside.

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A worm is a strip of rubber you insert into the hole with a fork like thing. The idea is that it takes some of the space up and the sealant does the rest. Unfortunately my limited experience is the worm makes a bid for freedom if the pressure is more than about 50 psi. The dynaplug looks a better design because of the arrow shape. I need something otherwise I’d be putting a tube in. Fortunately I am confident I can do this at the side of the road with my tyre and rim combo. I’d have no chance of reseating a tyre tubeless with a handpump.

The idea is you double the worm over the fork.

When you push it in by a few mms, the doubled worm spreads a little inside the tyre making it unlikely to blow out.

Some worm kits advise smearing some rubber solution on the worm to improve the seal.

The two remaining tags should be sliced level with the tread to prevent them catching on the road surface and dragging the worm out of the tyre.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I inserted the worm with the Muc Off tool, it looked to have worked but after leaving it overnight it seems to have worked its way back out the way ! Now resembles a goldfish doing a "number 2" !! :ohmy::stop:

Good description! Mine did the same, I thought I’d sorted it and even used some supplied adhesive but the pressures were too much for it. The next worm size up was massive, would have been more carp than goldfish, and I wasn’t going to cut the tyre further to insert it. The new replacement tyre is much better behaved so far although the original front had completely deflated over the course of last week. No obvious trace of sealant so probably the valve.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

So do you reckon I need a new tubeless tyre? I'm half tempted to return to my two tube tyres as they are just sitting there ready to use.....Hmmmm, what to do....

geocycle

Legendary Member
So do you reckon I need a new tubeless tyre? I'm half tempted to return to my two tube tyres as they are just sitting there ready to use.....Hmmmm, what to do....
I was probably a bit hasty. Had I not ordered another when I read a few more accounts I would have tried patching from the inside. I’m also interested in those dynaplugs that seem to be arrow shaped and should anchor better than a worm.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

patch the tyre from the inside with an inner tube patch, IMO which is limited those worms tools are crap they might get you home if you're lucky
Then you have to fully clean and re-fill with sealant?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
patch the tyre from the inside with an inner tube patch, IMO which is limited those worms tools are crap they might get you home if you're lucky
My equally limited experience of worms (one use) is that they are ok but shove them in well and use the fattest you have. I had a skinny one blow out but the fat one held ok.

I was tempted to unmount the tyre and patch from the inside when I got home but decided to leave it as an experiment (Ok I couldn't be arsed to patch it) it has held ok so far for a couple of short rides. Feel fairly confident about it. Tyre doesn't lose noticeable pressure when left standing around.

Edited to add. 622x28 @5 bar

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I was probably a bit hasty. Had I not ordered another when I read a few more accounts I would have tried patching from the inside. I’m also interested in those dynaplugs that seem to be arrow shaped and should anchor better than a worm.
I've no experience of worms but the description and described use makes it sound as if it's 50/50 on whether or not they work other than as a get you home.

I've used Dynaplug three times. The first in early February since when the tyre has done +/- 2000 miles on road and gravel. I've two other Dynaplugged tyres and both are fine.

Until I read this thread it hadn't occurred to me patching the tyre from the inside might be an option. I can't see a real need based on my experience.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
People give advice on "tubeless" without referral to tyre size and pressures.

Tubeless works well on large volume tyres run at lower pressures, i.e. MTB, which is where the "technology came from, because guess what, that is the very same scenario where tubes are vulnerable to pinch punctures.

For lower volume tyres run at high PSI i.e road bikes, tubeless is more of a gamble, because the higher pressure can blow worms out and cause some punctures not to "auto seal". With decent tyres with decent puncture protection kept properly inflated, there isn't a significant issue with punctures to "solve" by switching to a tubeless system.

The OP looks to be on some sort of road bike, but the solution appears to be coming to them......

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've always thought Dynaplug as a breed of worm if you see what I mean.
Love that. :laugh: Yes, I see where you're coming from.

I think the difference is this. As I understand stand it a worm is folded in half and a tool is used to push it in place. There doesn't seem to be any method of holding it in place other than expanding in to the hole.

A Dynaplug is a very sticky piece of "rubber" (not sure exactly what) with a metal tip which is slightly wider than the plug. The plug is housed inside the insertion tool. After pushing the plug in pulling the tool out causes the metal tip to effectively brace the plug against the inside of the tyre. The very sticky nature of the plug helps it bond to the sides of the hole.

One can also rub the bit of the plug which sticks out of the tyre back and forth across the tyre surface to bond it further.

geocycle

Legendary Member
@Dogtrousers you must be the only person here who dreams of having a puncture. 🤣🤣

yes indeed! Part of the problem of tubeless is like anything else you only learn about it when you need to fix something. At least after all the faffing with mine I know I can remove the tyre and fit a tube fairly easily if I have. problem on the road. Thanks for the dynaplug info, it does sound like a more advanced evolutionary stage of a rubber worm better adapted to higher pressure environments. My tyres are 28mm at 60-70 psi.

Top Bottom