Tubeless Tyre - "gummed up" valve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Another of my posts on the theme of being a mechanical incompetent.

I am running tubeless tyres and the valve on the front wheel appears to have gummed up solid. I suspect its a result of the problems I had earlier in the summer when the bike went to Spain. When I first pumped up the tyre after rebuilding the bike it vented a fair amount of sealant when I opened the valve. At the time to tyre reflated with out any problems but now its impossible to get any air into the tyre.

Is it possible to clear the blockage from the valve and if so, what is the best way to do it ?

Assuming you're using removable valve cores then the best way would be to remove said valve core and either clean it, which might or might not work, or replace it, which most certainly would. Valve cores are something like £5 for several and worth carrying around as spares, just in case.

If you're not using valves with removable cores then replace the entire valve with one with a removable core - much, much handier for topping up sealant :-)

Jody

Stubborn git
Normally a quick wiggle of the adapter while attached to the valve sorts it. Pump it and put some pressure in the pump cylinder first.

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Assuming you're using removable valve cores then the best way would be to remove said valve core and either clean it, which might or might not work, or replace it, which most certainly would. Valve cores are something like £5 for several and worth carrying around as spares, just in case.

If you're not using valves with removable cores then replace the entire valve with one with a removable core - much, much handier for topping up sealant :-)
Thanks - I'll figure out if the core is removable or not. The bike came fitted with tubeless when new so it should be fairly straight forward to find out.

Jody

Stubborn git
Thanks, I'll give this a try as a quick fix.

As a thought this may be due to the pressure difference between the tyre and pump. My tyres are usually 30ish PSI and the pump guage shows 100 ish. Quick wiggle and the needle drops back down to 30. Road tyres run 100+ so it might need to be higher still.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Normally a quick wiggle of the adapter while attached to the valve sorts it. Pump it and put some pressure in the pump cylinder first.

I had to remove the core"which was perfect" and poke the hole with a thin allen key as it was blocked inside the rim.

As above new valves are the quick fix if they clog.

Jody

Stubborn git
Out of interest what sealant are people using for those that have a serious blockage?

Top Bottom