Tubeless tyre pressures for a beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Switched from road to MTB and my Whyte 905 is now tubeless. I know there are a million variables but what's a good starting pressure for tubeless tyres
13.5 stone
Riding forest trails and Lake District paths.
The bike is set at 26 psi front and 29 rear but I figure that's way too high for tubeless as I'm reading they can run much lower
Thanks in advance for guidance

Motozulu

Über Member
At your weight - start 23 front, 25 rear and experiment by a couple of psi either way.

S-Express

The bike is set at 26 psi front and 29 rear but I figure that's way too high for tubeless as I'm reading they can run much lower

The question is why you would want to run such low pressures on the road - tubeless or not, it's simply not necessary. Leave it at 26/29 and try it. Depending on how good the roads are, you might want to increase it.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
The question is why you would want to run such low pressures on the road - tubeless or not, it's simply not necessary. Leave it at 26/29 and try it. Depending on how good the roads are, you might want to increase it.

Not on the roads, it's all off road MTB trails and Lakeland routes

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Its running 27.5" x 2.4 WTB tyres UTS approved. Front shock has 27% sag and will check rebound damping tomorrow morning first thing. Pressures @ 23 front & 26 rear. Looking forward to first ride tomorrow and hopefully get some understanding of bike and tyres/suspension

Motozulu

Über Member
Just don't be afraid to mess with pressures, sag, rebound etc - you can't break em and it's a good feeling when you finally settle on that 'sweet spot' with all the set up. Enjoy!

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
IMG_4231.JPG

First ride today in grizedale. It was all loose gravel forest paths so not much for the suspension to do but tyres felt fine, no dramas but not really tested. Even locked out suspension felt bouncy so maybe a touch soft for me. Loved it though and next time will try the north face trail with drops, jumps etc to test the suspension more

I always found new tyres felt a bit skittish for a few rides until they'd worn a bit so it might take a while to settle on best pressures.

I'd get up to Whinlatter too.

Top Bottom