Tubeless tyre upgrade options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotthunter

Hi,

I had a crash at the weekend when I skidded on a wet road. I was rolling on Giant SLR wheels with 25mm Giant Gavia AC 1 tyres. Naturally, I am looking to replace the tyres with ones that grip better in the wet, because coming off the bike at 30mph hurts. I would like to stay tubeless and they will need to be compatible with the Giant tubeless wheelsystem.

I have heard good things about Schwalbe's Pro One. Can anyone tell me if these grip any better in the wet as the Gavia tyres are completely slick. How do the 25's compare to the Gavia 25's size-wise? The Gavias seem narrow for a 25 - more like 23. Do they roll any better? I think they are 75g lighter.

Thanks

jiberjaber

Veteran
If you go Pro-Ones then make sure you scrub them in first. Can't remember the distance but something like 50-100km.

I can't say if they are any better in the wet - you could, of course, try slowing down ;)

Another option to look at are IRC which I think a couple of pro teams use as well.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-tyres

OP
OP
S

scotthunter

What do you mean by scrubbing them in?

I notice they at least have a tread pattern on the sides.

I think I had them over-inflated, combined with the first heavy rain in 2 weeks, a hairpin bend and a smooth patch of tarmac. It didn't end well...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Tread on a hard, wet, surface will have no impact on grip because a bicycle cannot aquaplane.

Arguably, a slick of the same compound will offer slightly more grip because you have more rubber on the road.

Tyre compound is the key, but bicycle tyres are not really sold as 'wet weather compound' so it's hard to know in advance how the tyre would perform.

A 'four seasons' or 'all seasons' tyre might be as good as you will get, but marketing will play a part in those descriptions.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I ride Pro Ones (Tubeless) on a couple of bikes, one with 28mm and one 25mm. Grip wise they seem t be about the same as Continental GP 4000 II and I have not had many problems with grip at all, but then again I don't go around wet hairpins at 30mph. I did have to replace one two weeks ago when I got a big cut that would not easily reseal. I repaired it with a patch, but did not feel confident to keep riding it as there was a suspicious bulge.

OP
OP
S

scotthunter

I ride Pro Ones (Tubeless) on a couple of bikes, one with 28mm and one 25mm. Grip wise they seem t be about the same as Continental GP 4000 II and I have not had many problems with grip at all, but then again I don't go around wet hairpins at 30mph. I did have to replace one two weeks ago when I got a big cut that would not easily reseal. I repaired it with a patch, but did not feel confident to keep riding it as there was a suspicious bulge.

Would you recommend 25's or going up to 28's? I guess my priority is to climb fast.

jiberjaber

Veteran
What do you mean by scrubbing them in?

I notice they at least have a tread pattern on the sides.

I think I had them over-inflated, combined with the first heavy rain in 2 weeks, a hairpin bend and a smooth patch of tarmac. It didn't end well...

You don't get full grip until the tyre has covered some distance, this is often cited as wearing off the release agent on the tyre the manufacturer leaves on to aid removal from the mould during manufacturing.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This is what I'm using at the moment, in the 28mm size. I think they're great...

https://www.ereresearch.com/tires/omnia

I had a moment on a recent ride where I was coming downhill and belatedly noticed the café I was aiming for approaching fast on the left. Not having time to brake, I was still going quicker than ideal when I turned into the car park, hit a patch of fine gravel and felt the front wheel start to go sideways... Just as I was resigning myself to hitting the deck, the tyre bit into a clean patch of tarmac and I stayed upright. Phew!

Still not sure I'd want to test how well they grip at 30mph on a wet hairpin.

Top Bottom