Tubeless Valve Help Needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Hi all
Recently got a new bike that’s running tubeless. The Presta valves themselves aren’t gumming up and are working fine so need to remove them for cleaning.
The issue I’m having is that the little knurled brass nut you undo to put air in is jamming solid every time and it’s hard to undo. I think it’s getting a tiny spray of sealant in the thread when I remove the pump head and seizing up. I’ve cleaned the thread and freed it up but next time it’s jammed again.
Wondering if a small smear of grease or dry lube on the thread would stop this. Good Idea? Bad idea? Any other ideas??!!

Cheers

35250CD8-5124-418D-AEEB-41EEE4B750BD.jpeg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am a fan of storing my bikes with the valves up. I have no idea if it helps and it certainly makes the bike unphotographable, but it keeps me happy.

OP
OP
Justinitus

Justinitus

I do have some spare cores (std ones from inner tubes - the same right?) but I don’t want to fit new cores each time I pump the tyre!

Edit: maybe I’ve just got crap valve cores - they’re the Giant ones that came with the bike!

Mine does the same. A drop of your favourite brand of spray lubricant sorts this out.

Thanks, I was thinking of this. I’ll give it a try - thanks

I am a fan of storing my bikes with the valves up. I have no idea if it helps and it certainly makes the bike unphotographable, but it keeps me happy.

You mean the valves at the bottom of the wheel, dust cap pointing up?

OP
OP
Justinitus

Justinitus

Other way around, valve at 12 o’clock. Now I come to think of it, that should leave the sealant sitting in the valve. Perhaps I need 2 or 8 o’clock.

You'll find 4:45pm is the optimum valve position for a tubeless wheel. Do not park at another angle or your average speed will drop by 1.3km/h

@Milkfloat yes I think there’s been a tiny bit of sealant sitting in the valves due to wheel rotation! Put a tiny spray of GT85 on the threads of the valve core nut and worked it through, then left the wheels overnight with the valves at about 4 o’clock (or 8 o’clock if you’re looking from the other side! :laugh:) and woohoo - not stuck solid today!

Hopefully resolved my small but annoying issue, thanks all :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom