Tubeless ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have to dissagree @Yellow Saddle ..
my tubeless wheels..ust hold the air for months..
i change the sealant every yr or when changing tyres..
i use a track pump..no probs..
no corosion..
no punctures..

Just good grip and no worrying about flats..
poor instalation may cause many probs and the wrong tyres..

I am not sure where we disagree.
I explained that non-UST tyres don't hold air well if they dont' have enough rubber in the sidewalls. UST tyres by definition have enough rubber.
Sealant has a limited lifespan. It is type and temperature dependent. I didn't go into detail but acknowledge it.
A track pump can inflate a UST tyre from new. Agreed. But won't do that on most non-UST tyres. Keep in mind that the UST logo costs money and supports the French, so some companies kick back against getting certified but still have good juicy tyres which will pass USB certification if enough money is paid to the Champaign drinkers.
No corrosion - yet. Dependent on sealant and CO2. The latter turns some sealants into acid. Ammonia-based sealants are alkaline, which is a problem for anodizing.
No punctures. Technically plenty of punctures but no leaks.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Sorry fella, I seem to have hijacked your thread a bit! :blush:
No problem ! Lots of info for all now !

Jody

Stubborn git
My experience has been good with tubeless. Stan's tape was a doddle to install, valves have never clogged up, sealant hasn't let me down yet in the 30+ punctures I've had and they only lose about 1psi per month. The only downside was initially getting the tyres to seat as they were very baggy, which was probably down to non UST rims. But use of a large compressor and a bit of manipulation sorted that. I've topped up the sealant once as I couldn't hear it sloshing around. I let the tyre down, removed the core, put another 80ml in and pumped back up. Its one of the best things to happen in MTB if you ask me.

As for high pressures on the road, I tend to find they roll better tubeless at 22psi then tubed at a higher psi. Don't know why or if it's just my perception.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I am not sure where we disagree.
I explained that non-UST tyres don't hold air well if they dont' have enough rubber in the sidewalls. UST tyres by definition have enough rubber.
Sealant has a limited lifespan. It is type and temperature dependent. I didn't go into detail but acknowledge it.
A track pump can inflate a UST tyre from new. Agreed. But won't do that on most non-UST tyres. Keep in mind that the UST logo costs money and supports the French, so some companies kick back against getting certified but still have good juicy tyres which will pass USB certification if enough money is paid to the Champaign drinkers.
No corrosion - yet. Dependent on sealant and CO2. The latter turns some sealants into acid. Ammonia-based sealants are alkaline, which is a problem for anodizing.
No punctures. Technically plenty of punctures but no leaks.

no prob...i was just going by my findings..
your in the business and see all the things we read about:okay:

As for high pressures on the road, I tend to find they roll better tubeless at 22psi then tubed at a higher psi. Don't know why or if it's just my perception.
Some truth, mostly imagination and here's why.
If you have exactly the same tyre, one with just air in it and the other with a tube and air in it, the one without the tube will have a lower rolling resistance. This is because both the tyre and tube is "seen" by the road as one and it compresses them both. Compression losses in rubber increase with thickness and a coupe of other factors. Therefore the tubeless tyre will have less rolling resistance because it is in fact a thicker, more flexible tyre.
However, how much less is questionable and down to the thickness of the tube. If you had some blanket-thick mother of a puncture proof tube in there, a lot of difference - observable, I'd say. If it was a normal tube, I doubt you'll feel it since the increased resistance is in the order of grams. The slightest wind would have more drag than a thin tube.
Then there's the factor of decreased pressure in the tubeless. That in itself increase rolling resistance but as you all know, increases traction.
So, you have decreased RR from no tube but increased RR from less pressure. Can you feel it? Only a double-blind test with hundreds of test subjects can answer that question. I'll bet like those guys who put their money on that low-probability soccer team did.

For the moment I'm going to leave well alone and swap to gunk tubes if I have any punctures. I can still play with pressures but know not to go too low in case of pinch flats.
I've done well with gunk tubes for 15 years and not had a full blown ride stopper.

I don't have the budget for new tyres to make things work on top of the Stans kit price, so I'll think about it again when the tyres are due for replacing.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
For those of you who have a puncture repair kit in the car as many cars do nowadays, do not forget the sealant has a use by date. Fine for bike tyres though.

bjellys

I have changed all my mountain bikes to tubeless but I didn't like the Stan's rim tape as it wasn't very flexible so I now use 25 mm Gorilla tape and I also had a problem with one of the tubeless valves trying to pull through so I just cut the valve out of an old inner tube and fitted that. All my tyres are normal tyres not tubeless so I did have a patch of Stan's seeping through the side wall on one tyre but it soon sealed. I am out every day and no punctures yet but now I have said it no doubt I will get one.
I am off on a 60k off road endurance event which goes out onto Dartmoor tomorrow so I will report later on my tubeless experience.

Here's a link to the Gorilla tape method
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Gorilla-Tape-Tubeless-Conversion.html

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't know what some lads do to their bikes. I'm 265lbs and have never, ever suffered pinch flats. I vary my pressures between about 25 and 45, depending on the bike, particular tyres and terrain.

Ran my Trance tubeless for a while, but when I got a small cut in one tyre I tubed it and never bothered going back again.

Top Bottom