Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
MAVIC has its own tubeless system - if you do not stick with their tyres then there are no guarantees, warranty etc.

CXRAndy

Guru
For the loss of pressure, have you got a good rim tape setup and valve. Mine normally last easily several days without loss of pressure, before sealant

boydj

Legendary Member
I think the point is that the 'Tubeless' tyres are heavier then regular tyres due to the internal rubber layer - they are probably better for commuting and utility riding. If you want to race or otherwise go faster, or you're just concerned about weight and still want to go tubeless, then 'Tubeless Ready' will be the ones to get. There's probably a cost element involved too.

I don't think this is just marketing bumf. If you want to go tubeless - and I think it's worth the effort - then you have a choice to make.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Does anyone successfully use 'tubeless' or 'tubeless ready' tyres WITHOUT sealant? Is this just 'a rose by any other name'? Or is this an MTB thing?

From a Continental site:
"What does Tubeless Ready mean?
Tubeless Ready tires can be used both with and without an inner tube because the tire and wheel rim are designed so that they directly seal each other. In contrast to UST [Universal System for Tubeless] tires, Tubeless Ready tires are much lighter and are therefore air-permeable in the sidewall. This is sealed with a special sealing milk. All mountain bike tires from Continental are Tubeless Ready in the ProTection and Performance formats. The revolutionary Tubeless Ready bead allows easier and less complicated assembly of the tire. For optimum sealing results and use, we recommend using the Continental RevoSealant . If mounted correctly, the system is relatively air-tight and resistant to snake bites with folding or wired-on tires. Voluminous mountain bike tires in particular benefit from this design. Tubeless Ready tires can be ridden with a lower operating pressure [than what - tubeless tyres?]. The risk of punctures is much lower because there is no inner tube that can be punctured. Also, the movement of the tire on the wheel rim has no impact. In addition, the grip, comfort and rolling friction on rough terrain is better."

boydj

Legendary Member
Tubeless on a road bike seems to be a lot less common than it is on mountain bikes where the technology has been in use for much longer. With proper 'Tubeless' tyres, the sealant is optional, but probably a useful additional defence against puncture. I like the benefit of running lower pressure and the smoother ride this gives without affecting the rolling resistance.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
This suggests the UST mavics that I have are “tubeless” rather than tubeless ready. Im not sure if that’s a good thing or not but either m way I’m looking forward to giving them a go.

Top Bottom