Tubular Tyre Terror - Part 2.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
I got punctures in two tubular tyres this weekend ;) meh!

With each (very new) tyre costing £20 I decided to try and save a bit of cash by the following:

locate puncture
unstitch the tub
pull out the tube where the hole was
repair the hole
sew the tub back up
test stitching by inflating up to 160psi
glued the whole thing back up
stick it back onto my rim

TWICE.

I was glad of the 6 pack of beer in the fridge - I couldn't have managed without it to be honest.

Anyone else ever done this? How did it go?

I don't really want to be thinking that the stitching could give up one day and.....BOOM! :wacko:

02GF74

Über Member
I tried it once and ended up ruining the inner tube.

In the back of cycling weekly there used to be advert for someone who would repair tubes.

can't help any more than that - other than google.

I reckon it is one of those thinkg thaqt are easier said than done - first you need to locate the hole, fix it - usualy the tubes are latex so I think you need specail glue and then finally sew the tub up without piercing the inner tube.

MartinC

Über Member
It's many years since I did this. Sounds like you did it right. The stitching will be fairly safe - the tape and glue will hold it together.

I too remember the advert in the comic - but I can't say I've noticed it lately but I haven't been looking.

Tubs are nice to ride but a pain in the a**e otherwise.

I use Veloflex Record 20mm clinchers and the sound and performance are not far behind tubs especially with the lightweight tubes.

Have used tubs in the past,tried to make them "work" but they are too much trouble.

SimonC

Not repaired a tub for ages - probably last one was a Barum cross tub, like sewing a tractor tyre back together.

Cant see point in riding tubs now road tyres are so good, not enough advantage, even for racing on IMHO.

I used to do it in the 70s Brahan. I was racing on the cheap & used Wolber tubs, the cheapest, they were probably quite agricultural now as normal tyres seem lighter and thinner. I sat there many evening sewing up tubs but being used to dressmaking it was probably easier. The secret was not to sew too tight and pull the stitches together too much as they shrink.

I did it to save money & used to do a few together. I still hate mending punctures & try to get someone to do it if I can.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
All that time over the weekend fixing those tubs and this morning I find one of them is flat again.

It may be very very early in my experience of tubular tyres but I'm giving up :smile:

02GF74

Über Member
yep - either buy new ones, send off and pay someone to do it or else fit clincher rims and problem solved forever.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
as my fixed bike came to me with some lovely sprint wheels, i just had to get some tubs to go with them. i went for the cheap as chips vittoria rally, not least because they were only £11 each, but also because they had a kevlar band to keep punctures to a minimum.

i dare say they aren't as light as racing tubs, but as a training tyre they seem a pretty good choice. i've done some high-ish milage rides on them with no problems.

mattsccm

Give them to me!! Tip. Don't use domestic thread singly. The pressure may over power it if you have stitched them tightly and bang. You only do it once.
Must admit that in 30 years I have only ever done about a dozen and a huge proportion of the use was using cheap to mid price tyres of road. Eg in the last 9 years I have been using a single/fixed around the gravel track around here. 1 puncture in tubs and plenty on HP's .
What I do is buy/scrounge old wheels from my local traditional shop. 10 quid for some Record/GP4's sort of thing . Gives me nice hubs to sell to the current crop of trendy fixed riders in London and an endless source of good tubs. I often make a profit o the deal and have the tubs.

Davidc

Guru
Like Campfire I used them a bit in the 70s.

Found them a complete pain in the posterior to mend, then found a local chap who'd repair them at a good price.

I could only afford one bike so I had one set of wheels with them for TT and one with good road tyres for general use. Gave up on tubs when I had to use road tyres while the tubs were being mended and did a pb time.

I sew mine up with dental floss, never had a problem with the it failing and using the waxed version means it slides through the old stitch holes with ease, allowing for even stitch tension.

If I can find some decent s/h sprint wheels for winter use on the fixed then I'll switch totally over to tub, I personally find the ride so much better.

Phil Edwards

Sorry to move this on, however I am a new member and have not worked out how to start my own thread.

I have fitted new tubs to a set of Boras and have used open end valve extensions (basically a straw) When I pump up the tub my track pump indicates the pressure but immediatly drops back down to zero. As you know the guage will usually stay steady indicating 8 bar. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can resolve this. I do know that I could change the extensions to move the valve end up to the end of the extension, I would however rather retain the open straw type extensions.
Thanks

phil

GilesM

Legendary Member
mattsccm said:
What I do is buy/scrounge old wheels from my local traditional shop. 10 quid for some Record/GP4's sort of thing .

That takes me back, when I was racing I road GP4s on Record hubs with Vittoria CX tubs, no wonder I was always broke. I used to repair my own tubs, but only used the repaired ones as spares or for my training wheels, never raced on them once repaired. Normal thread is definately no good, you have to get the proper stuff, and a thimble is essential.

Top Bottom