Turbo or rollers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Owing to the amazing summer we're having, I'm considering picking up either of the above unseasonably early.

Basically, which is better? I like the idea of the more natural feel of rollers, although they scare the carp out of me! And also the fact that i dont have to lock/unlock the bike into it. But is that just a silly idea and should I stick to a conventional turbo?

Space isn't an issue.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I personally prefer the rollers, they take a little more effort to get used to but equally help your balance and teaches you to really ride in a straight line, you do not notice how much you move till you get rollers. Once you hsve spent time with rollers cycling in a group becomes so much more easier. It also feels natural and I can practice doing things such as getting a drink while cycling. By comparison a turbo requires less effort and it does not require the same degree of control or balance, it feels slightly bizzare and unatural to me. I also hate the fact I have to change my wheels to use the damn thing.. Rollers have a bit of a learning curve, but are well worth the effort imho.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
I've both and use them both.

As above, rollers really improve your bike handling and feel more natural than TTs and you can set them up in about 10 seconds. I tend to use rollers if I fancy a short leg stretch if I haven't ridden that day whereas I use the TT for 'proper' winter training, getting the long sessions in (I tend to lose concentration on rollers after 20 mins...something which can end in tears). TTs take longer to set up and may be louder than rollers. I'd recommend trying both, you may find you have a strong dislike for one of them.

montage

God Almighty
I always said turbo over rollers - it just made more sense. But then I had a go on rollers!

With Rollers, it takes around 5 or 10 minutes to get confident enough to use them without grabbing the wall constantly, and time seems to pass much quicker. Due to the lack of resistance though, I find it difficult to get much more than a tempo paced workout done on them, whereas on a turbo you can sprint and do intervals as hard as you like - so it really depends on your cycling aims. If you don't get out much in bad weather, and would like to do some road races/crits, then the ability to do intervals that the turbo trainer offers is a huge advantage. Otherwise, rollers! They are claimed to improve handling, balance and pedalling technique, and having used them for the last couple of weeks, I can believe these claims.

I have both. Turbo is better for sessions where you need to focus on monitoring/achieving the effort, rather than staying upright. I only use the rollers for warm-ups these days...

montage

God Almighty
Hmmm interesting points about the resistance issues with rollers. I'd not thought of that! Pity I can't try a set out

It isn't that there is no resistance, far from it. Chances are you can hit 80-85% efforts if you stick it in your lowest gear and up the cadence. It's just eeking out those high power VO2 max/lactate threshold intervals that is the issue.

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Found a couple of models with some resistance. I think I'm verging towards rollers as I like the fact that you need good core strength to hold stability. Also the bits about sorting out your pedalling smoothness.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
You can get resistance with rollers. Buy small rollers, fan and a flywheel

http://www.kreitler.co.uk/accessories.asp

edindave

Über Member
I know the feeling, I bought rollers late last year for the winter expecting another snowfest. Only used them about 6 times in Jan and not since.
Did find they helped with balance and general confidence on the road, even after only a handful of sessions. Not got to the stage where I could take a drink bottle out of the cage though!
I have the CycleOps Aluminuim rollers - resistance unit optional. Not too noisy and easy to set up. And you don't need to change tyres unlike a turbo so ideal for last minute changes of plan due to the weather!
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-aluminium-rollers/

Top Bottom