Turbo Sessions - Intervals or Giving it Max

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
I'm hoping to do some more 10 mile TTs this year. As such, I've been training on my turbo over that distance. My technique is pretty simple. Keep it steady but hard each time and then crank it up over the last mile. Works for me, set a turbo pb for the distance yesterday. Anyway, looking at some of the other blokes on Strava who do the local ten (and are a little bit better than me on the night), some of them seem to do intervals, which involve lots of peaks and troughs. I've heard these do work but it seems counterintuitive to me. What's the general consensus? I feel my approach mimics more closely how it would be on the road but am happy to hear the interval approach is superior.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Which method stresses you most? That's the best.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Intervals work . I dont do them and i'm rubbish at TT's . ^_^
The point of intervals is to train your heart rate and breathing , you take it up to the max then let it calm down , then up again etc .

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Intervals work . I dont do them and i'm rubbish at TT's . ^_^
The point of intervals is to train your heart rate and breathing , you take it up to the max then let it calm down , then up again etc .
But if it's quite a flat TT, surely there wouldn't be much variation in hr and breathing would there? In which case a turbo session that is steady with full beans if you can on the "home straight" would be a better way of replicating such a ride wouldn't it?

I'm hoping to do some more 10 mile TTs this year. As such, I've been training on my turbo over that distance. My technique is pretty simple. Keep it steady but hard each time and then crank it up over the last mile. Works for me, set a turbo pb for the distance yesterday. Anyway, looking at some of the other blokes on Strava who do the local ten (and are a little bit better than me on the night), some of them seem to do intervals, which involve lots of peaks and troughs. I've heard these do work but it seems counterintuitive to me. What's the general consensus? I feel my approach mimics more closely how it would be on the road but am happy to hear the interval approach is superior.
That's my take on it too, everything says intervals are better but its counter-intuitive to me too. Ive went mostly with intervals in the past but I like to mix it with actually doing the distance but when I'm time pressed intervals work better.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Intervals is about gaining more time at a higher intensity than you could manage if the effort was steady. It’s not about practising what you’ll do in your intended event. The science says that combined with the right volume of lower intensity riding it’ll bring about better physiological adaptions and speed than what you are doing. In effect the training effect is greater, you get more bang for your buck.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
But if it's quite a flat TT, surely there wouldn't be much variation in hr and breathing would there? In which case a turbo session that is steady with full beans if you can on the "home straight" would be a better way of replicating such a ride wouldn't it?
Or start steady then full beans , steady , full beans , steady , sprint . Then while everyone is struggling jog back to the start to pick up your jacket ^_^
Once you lose control of your heart rate and especially breathing then you will only go down hill . I do anyway . I always go out to fast and struggle to regain my breathing and heart rate too high . All of this regulates the blood to the muscles you are trying to use .

Last edited:
Warm up : 15mins including 5x30secs sprints and 2mins flat out.

Workout: 2x(6x30secs) flat-out with 30secs recovery/ 5mins spin between efforts/ sets, 5x1min flat-out holding pace with 1min recovery between efforts.

Warm down: 10mins.

Twice a week for 3 weeks before your TT.

Last edited:

Wobbling

Regular
It’s a while since I did a 10 mile but the consensus in my club was train to go from the start at 95% of max effort and strike the match twice to go 5mins 100% the last being at the end .
This meant two sessions on turbo 20mins 70% 15mins 80% 10mins 90%
One session 20 mins 80% 5 mins rest 20 mins 80%
All % being threshold
Used to do a tt once per week

Levo-Lon

Guru
Warm up : 15mins including 5x30secs sprints and 2mins flat out.

Workout: 2x(6x30secs) flat-out with 30secs recovery/ 5mins spin between efforts/ sets, 5x1min flat-out holding pace with 1min recovery between efforts.

Warm down: 10mins.

Twice a week for 3 weeks before your TT.

:laugh: The warm up is quite enough thank you ..

CXRAndy

Guru
Doing maximum short intervals, conditions the body, pulling up their VO2 max.

Another method is to work on longer intervals just below lactate threshold. Training the body to better cope and deal with flushing the lactate

By combining these two training methods, fitness can be improved

Top Bottom