Turbo shreds tyre....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:ohmy:xx( ...shock horror......

Yep, treads lifted and unbonded - heat I would imagine.

Been thinking of getting a turbo wheel with a turbo tyre on for that very reason, just a pain changing it all the time. What do others do?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
the orange conti tyre is what i do. its a pig to fit as its very tight. but whirrs less and rolls better.

bargain really

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've got the pressure too high (tyre/roller) - I can run Michelin Pro Race 2's on my turbo without any problems - and they are light race tyres.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

fossyant said:
You've got the pressure too high (tyre/roller) - I can run Michelin Pro Race 2's on my turbo without any problems - and they are light race tyres.

I have been reducing the pressure for on the trainer: Blizzards at 110 for the road get put down to 80 on the trainer. What pressure do you use? I also have an adjustment knob which I just notch up until there's no slip on a sudden sprint.

steve Austin said:
the orange conti tyre is what i do. its a pig to fit as its very tight. but whirrs less and rolls better.

Is that the turbo one? And do you use it on the road as well?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Steve Austin said:
the Orange Turbo tyre. About £15 i think..

Not for road use, as it ain't got no grip.

works fine for the turbo though :smile:

So do you swop wheels then or have you a turbo bike? I was thinking of doing that actually!

fossyant

Nooooo.......... pressure of the roller on the tyre - tyre pressure should be the same - make sure the roller just touches, if it slips a lot then tighten - expect a little slip on a big acceleration but that's it - don't go too 'tight' as that's where the heat is.

I use road pressure and allow for a little slip.....

OP
OP
C

Crackle

fossyant said:
Nooooo.......... pressure of the roller on the tyre - tyre pressure should be the same - make sure the roller just touches, if it slips a lot then tighten - expect a little slip on a big acceleration but that's it - don't go too 'tight' as that's where the heat is.

I use road pressure and allow for a little slip.....

Ah! misunderstood thee. I've been trying to work out what the best combination of tyre pressure and tyre roller pressure should be. I had been using road pressure but was getting slippage hence lowering the pressure. It's probably the last 100 miles which have buggered it then. Still, before that I was getting a flat spot over the tyre so I was thinking of changing to a turbo tyre anyway.

I deffo recommend a turbo tyre.

I have the Tacx one, and it is much much better than running road tyres on it.

To answer your other question, yes, I do have a turbo wheel - happens to be an old one from when I upgraded to my Aksiums. I would recommend just buying a dirt cheap wheel and using it for the turbo.

andygates

I've just slapped on the yellow Conti turbo tyre (bionic thumbs to the rescue, wakka..wakka..wakka...) and am retiring my road bike until it's nice out there. More fixie-inna-headwind for me!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Right! Temporarily got another road tyre a Bontrager (LBS is a Trek shop). They stock the turbo tyres but they didn't have a nice cheap 2nd hand rear wheel and a new one plus block was getting into 'cheap set off e-bay territory'.

There was also some discussion about running my 10spd chain on a 7 spd block - I wasn't keen on this. Will it make a difference, as a 7 spd is cheaper than a 10.

Also regarding wheel dish. Is there any difference in the dish for a 10 spd as opposed to a 7spd cassette/block?

fossyant

Your dish will be different - I.e you might need to trim the mech to use the block correctly. Even different makes of wheels, using the same size blocks can vary by a mm or so - my HOPE hubs were a mm or so different from my Dura Ace hubs - so when swapping wheels it meant a half turn on the adjuster. Easy when you know how much adjustment is necessary.

Don't forget - 7 speed blocks have about 3.1mm spacing and 10 speed is a fair bit narrower.

Top Bottom