Turbo trainer and HIIT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had a turbo trainer set up for a few months and have failed miserably in using it to improve my fitness.
Anything more than 25/30 mins is so mind-numbing that I give up (basic turbo, no screen).

This past week I have tried a couple of HIIT sessions of 30 mins and find it reasonably bearable.

Does anyone here use their set-up solely for HIIT, has it helped their fitness, and what sort of programme/intervals do they use?

si_c

Guru
When I was commuting 5 days a week that was giving me the baseline fitness I needed, so most of the time I used the turbo two or three times a week for interval training. I was using Zwift though and some of the sub-60minute workouts they have available.

CXRAndy

Guru
25/30 mins is so mind-numbing that I give up (basic turbo, no screen

This is the whole reason. An interactive setup will completely transform the experience.

To have interactive experience, you will need a smart turbo, PC/tablet/apple tv, a screen and internet connection.

Zwift, Trainer Road, Bigringvr, Road grand tours.

The definition of High intensity it is very short in duration 30mins to max an hour

BurningLegs

Veteran
I have had a turbo trainer set up for a few months and have failed miserably in using it to improve my fitness.
Anything more than 25/30 mins is so mind-numbing that I give up (basic turbo, no screen).

This past week I have tried a couple of HIIT sessions of 30 mins and find it reasonably bearable.

Does anyone here use their set-up solely for HIIT, has it helped their fitness, and what sort of programme/intervals do they use?
An easy way in to this is YouTube videos.

Have a search on there for “GCN class” and you will find some spin class type guided workouts. Some with music and some without (so you can bring your own).

The next step up from that is dedicated apps like Zwift etc but to get the best out of those you’ll really need a smart trainer.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Thanks for the replies. My set up is in the shed at the bottom of the garden...plenty of room but no power, and I am, in reality, never going to get Zwift or anything similar, nor am I going to have a regular indoor setup.

All very basic I'm afraid, so I am going to have to come up with a no-frills interval programme of short periods of high activity interspersed with periods of cooling-down.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
No need to check. It isn't. It's ten years old and is not even internet supported. :blush:

I am a lost cause.
Nah, you're not mate.

Your local CashConverters or something of that sort is your friend. I got parts of my Zwift setup from these kind of places and it works great. If there's an issue you can usually give it back and get your cash back.

And on Zwift in general: It's a marvel! Give it a try and you won't believe what you've been missing I tells ya.

Top Bottom