Turbo Trainer: Kinetic Road Machine any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eck

Über Member
Having destroyed my second-hand magnetic turbo, I'm thinking about replacing it with a "fluid" one. I'm attracted to the Kinetic Road Machine (in spite of the colour), which seems to get consistently good reviews. Does anyone on here have any experience of it? Thanks.
modify_inline.gif

Attachments

• modify_inline.gif
    modify_inline.gif
    259 bytes · Views: 25

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've been using a Kinetic 'rock n roll' for a few years, what do you want to know?

OP
OP
eck

eck

Über Member
I'm guessing the Rock 'n' Roll is a bit beyond my budget, but the fact that you've been using it "for a few years" tells me something. I've had two magnetic trainers that have died on me, and I'm tempted by a fluid one, of which the Road Machine seems to be better than most. I was just asking if anyone had any personal experience, good or bad, of using one that they would be willing to share. Thanks. :smile:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Well, I got mine on a good offer from chain reaction. I've used it for, at least, three years. A minimum of least three times a week in winter, often more. It then sits all summer in the garage. It's still in great condition and works as it should. Last year following a broken collar bone, I swapped a mate for his, his was more portable than the heavy brute that is the rock n roll. He used mine for most of that winter. I found his turbo to be less realistic, and I can't put my finger on why I prefer the 'feel' of mine. It feels smoother, somehow. His is also a fluid trainer. The only downside is it is big and heavy, something I think they've changed with the new model and not something you'd have a problem with, with the road machine.
In my opinion they are worth the money. If I had to replace mine (not that I'm expecting to have to), I'd buy another.

Trull

Über Member
I've been using a Cyclops Fluid2 and its very good, easy to setup and very quiet so I don't wake the tiddler. Its hooked up to PeriPedal via ANT+ speed/cadence/garmin HRM and I run that inconjunction with streamed sufferfest from Strava premium or one of the XCTC youtube videos. Of course by not using a simple mag trainer you are defying Graham...

OP
OP
eck

eck

Über Member
Well, I ordered the Kinetic Road Machine from High on Bikes yesterday, and it was delivered this afternoon. I have to say I'm most impressed: very easy to set up, it feels very well-made and stable, and the riding "feel" is in another league to what I'd been used to on magnetic turbos. Ok, it wasn't cheap, but I'm sure I'll get a lot of use from it..
And the colour is a lot nicer IRL than it looks on-line.

Top Bottom