Turbo trainer or exercise bike ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HB2210

Hi there looking for some advice please,

As the winter is drawing in :cold:I have been training last two nights on my indoor exercise bike. It is a technogym bike with loads of resistance options, heart rate monitor etc. I have been told that staying on my outdoor bike would be better and have the chance to borrow a turbo trainer. Can anyone give me some advice please?? :wacko: Too many options for a newbie is not good :blush:

Chris-H

Über Member
To be honest I would say its personal preference, if you are in the position to borrow a turbo trainer then I would suggest using it for a week and see which you prefer.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hi there looking for some advice please,

As the winter is drawing in :cold:I have been training last two nights on my indoor exercise bike. It is a technogym bike with loads of resistance options, heart rate monitor etc. I have been told that staying on my outdoor bike would be better and have the chance to borrow a turbo trainer. Can anyone give me some advice please?? :wacko: Too many options for a newbie is not good :blush:
Not a clue but your doggy is cute :smile:

Mattonsea

Über Member
I think the TT is better , being in your usual position keeps you using the same muscle groups, but I have never ridden an exercise bike so have a test??

Ernie_RBR

I've only used an exercise bike and ever again as I got an injury due to its set up , If I was to get one I'd go for a TT any day, atleast you know that your bike is fitted to you and your muscle memory is not knocked out of sync ...IMO

Blert596

I had my first off the other week on my commute in, and have noticed myself having more and more little slips as the cold has become more prevalant. getting out of my flat area is becoming a trek to the main road before saddling up. Sooooo....

I got myself a BKOOL Turbo and have been using that of a night and just getting an outdoor ride (or two) of a weekend and think I'll settle for this over the winter.

Finding the BKOOL quite a tough workout compared to my normal ride in. I input my GPX route and it uses it and google earth to plot your route through. I was bloody knackered after doing the 10 mile route, compared to how I normally feel. I done it 3 minutes faster than normal but there was no stopping for lights/junctions etc (no rest).

I think this may be due to a couple of things though. Firstly theres no cooling down wind and I was absolutely drenched in sweat afterwards. I think people recommend a fan. And secondly there's no respite on downhill segments. You have to keep pedalling or you stop which is a bit of a bummer.

I did a 14m "rolling hills" route with a max hill grade of 3 degrees and at the end of it I could hardly stand. Seriously the hardest ride I've done and thats including a couple of 44 milers with over 2800ft of climb. Honestly I was completely shattered after it.

Also, being able to ride online against others, and choose any GPX/FIT route you or anyone else has done, or stream actual route stages from races, and have them show on my telly while I ride is great.

So, just my opinion as a newbie, but I'm sold on the TT.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I use both, as I got a Nordic Track recumbent for very little in a garage sale. I also have a Minoura magnetic resistance trainer, a very old one someone gave me when they got disgusted with riding indoors. As it looks like we are in for a long winter after Sunday's tornado to round out Pentecost, I may be trying to ride outside, going to the gym, using the exercycle and the turbo trainer this year. Kind of mixing it up, so I do not get bored. Oh, and the skis as well.

Irishrich

Über Member
Turbo Trainer all the way. I use the exercise bikes in the gym and am frankly bored and sore after 10 minutes because the seating position is nothing like being on a real road bike. Like others have said, the TT lets you keep riding your bike, using all the same muscles, meaning you keep your muscles for cycling working all year and can hit the spring time with a good base fitness. A bit of advice would be to get a training video like Sufferfest and put it on the tv so you can follow a structured workout for 45mins-1hr. Or put the TT infront of your computer or laptop and watch TT workouts on youtube. There are some very good ones out there.

MarkF

Guru
I've had 2 exercise bikes and sold them through lack of use, I've just sold the turbo trainer that replaced them. B.o.r.i.n.g. Cheap exercise bikes are pants, a cheap trainer much better.

I would like a really good exercise bike like a £2.5k Cycelops, or a turbo trainer with the racing software and panoramic screen, but I can't afford them. :sad:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Is there a health club near you that might have that? That is where I go for the higher end exercycle workouts. They can afford a lot better exercycle than I can. And it provides Mrs. GA with a pool, because she does not cycle.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I'm debating the same thing. Turbo or exercise bike. Was all set for the TT but then realised that if there was a dry day that I could venture out into the elements, that would mean that I would need to take the wheels off and take the training tyres off to switch to the road tyres again. Not much work I'm sure, just hassle. As I'm sure you will be aware, you need the special training tyres as you will develop flat spots on your road tyres should you use them on your trainer.

Murlo-Ku-Ku

I find rollers to work better than TT. Quite tricky to start with, but once you get used to them (and stop being ejected left and right like a slice of bread out of the toaster) it's a far more complete workout and as close to the real thing as it gets!

You still lose the will to live after the first 50-60 minutes though... :huh:

Peteaud

Veteran
Got my BKool today and just finished the 1st session.

Thanks to Mrs Aud as its my xmas pressie :hyper:

User instructions are terrible imho but brilliant bit of kit.

Irishrich

Über Member
I'm debating the same thing. Turbo or exercise bike. Was all set for the TT but then realised that if there was a dry day that I could venture out into the elements, that would mean that I would need to take the wheels off and take the training tyres off to switch to the road tyres again. Not much work I'm sure, just hassle. As I'm sure you will be aware, you need the special training tyres as you will develop flat spots on your road tyres should you use them on your trainer.

Get yourself an old rear wheel and tyre like I did. £50 for wheel and cassette and I had an old tyre lying around. It means I can take the bike off the turbo, change to the other wheel in 10 seconds and get out on the road.

Top Bottom