Turbo trainer question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lambchop

So having had my Tacx Turbo for a few weeks now and getting used to the strange sensation of riding my bike in the kitchen... I was wondering
if the QR bolt that came with the Turbo is safe to leave on my bike when riding normally outdoors?!

What Tyre pressure should I be running when using the Turbo and roughly how long will a recent Swchable Blizzard tyre last before shredding or overheating?

Many thanks

AlanW

Guru
Lambchop said:
I was wondering
if the QR bolt that came with the Turbo is safe to leave on my bike when riding normally outdoors?!

Yes

Lambchop said:
What Tyre pressure should I be running when using the Turbo and roughly how long will a recent Swchable Blizzard tyre last before shredding or overheating?

Personally I wouldn't use it, go for a specific turbo trainer tyre, made for the job.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- re. using specific turbo tyre - in practice doesn't this mean buying and using a specific spare wheel, (and cassette), clad with turbo tyre, for the turbo. How many people change their tyres back and forth? (Question posed by puzzled non turbo user).

AlanW

Guru
youngoldbloke said:
- re. using specific turbo tyre - in practice doesn't this mean buying and using a specific spare wheel, (and cassette), clad with turbo tyre, for the turbo. How many people change their tyres back and forth? (Question posed by puzzled non turbo user).

I have a spare wheel only for use on the turbo.

But to be honest, wheel sets are so cheap to buy I would have thought that everyone would have a spare set anyway. Then fit a new cassette and at least you'll always have a spare one for the summer.

The only "real" waste that cannot be used for anything else is the specific tyre.

gbb

Legendary Member
QR can stay on the bike...i never swapped mine back.

I dont bother with turbo specific tyres, never had any shredding / overheating issues with Conti Gatorskins or another make i can't remember at the moment.
I run mine at normal pressures, although i do try to make sure the turbo is pressed against the tyre just enough to allow proper traction without slipping.

The only problem i've encountered is the blooming puppy dog getting too interested in the turbo :smile: :biggrin::biggrin:

AlanW

Guru
gbb said:
never had any shredding / overheating issues with Conti Gatorskins or another make

The specific turbo tyre is more suited because it is made of a softer, more tactile material. Therefore you don't have to apply as much pressure on the roller/tyre interface to stop the rear wheel from slipping.

The net result is that the feel of riding the turbo is more natural.

gbb

Legendary Member
AlanW said:
The specific turbo tyre is more suited because it is made of a softer, more tactile material. Therefore you don't have to apply as much pressure on the roller/tyre interface to stop the rear wheel from slipping.

The net result is that the feel of riding the turbo is more natural.

Now that's interesting.
One thing i always thought, but never asked here, is how others find the comparison between turbo and road work.
I find 1 hours turbo work very hard compared with the same on the road. I tend to just find a steady cadence on the turbo and plod along, but it still is much harder than on the road.
I know there's no cooling effect from the wind etc, but i always wondered what say 1 hours turbo work is compared with 1 hour on the road. Mileage is the same, but the effort used is considerably more IMO.
My first thought was..so the turbo is pressed a bit harder against the tyre...so what. But of course the resistance is increased, so its perhaps like riding with a half flat tyre.

Interesting...but i'll still stay on my road tyre and accept the harder work as a bonus :biggrin: Mainly because i'm lazy and a tightwad.:smile:

montage

God Almighty
gbb said:
Now that's interesting.
One thing i always thought, but never asked here, is how others find the comparison between turbo and road work.
I find 1 hours turbo work very hard compared with the same on the road. I tend to just find a steady cadence on the turbo and plod along, but it still is much harder than on the road.
I know there's no cooling effect from the wind etc, but i always wondered what say 1 hours turbo work is compared with 1 hour on the road. Mileage is the same, but the effort used is considerably more IMO.
My first thought was..so the turbo is pressed a bit harder against the tyre...so what. But of course the resistance is increased, so its perhaps like riding with a half flat tyre.

Interesting...but i'll still stay on my road tyre and accept the harder work as a bonus :biggrin: Mainly because i'm lazy and a tightwad.:smile:

Turbos are hotter, therefore more energy used, don't take into account aerodynamics, no rain, no wind, no free wheeling down hills, more boring

Young Un

When out on the road its also surprising how much you freewheel! My coach always says to me that an hour on the turbo is equivalent to around an hour and half on the road. It may just be me as well, but my cadence always increases on the turbo, giving me more of a work out.

OP
OP
Lambchop

Lambchop

Thanks for clearing that up for me all of you :smile:

I also find it 'a lot' harder on the turbo, although it does help a great deal if you have some loud shouty music on the iPod - purely psychological I'm sure...

AlanW

Guru
gbb said:
Now that's interesting.

In terms of actual work load it is the same. However, because you sweat more for the reasons already mentioned, you think that it is harder.

But on the plus side, you can tailor a very specific training programme using a indoor trainer, depending on the version of trainer you have of course.

But there are several keys to how successful you are:

1) The only successful way to train on a indoor trainer is by using a heart rate monitor.

2) The warm up period is by far the most important part, spend at least 1/4hr getting your heart rate up to tempo.

3) You must have a programme to follow, otherwise you will get bored and give up!

4) Above all you must be in the right frame of mind, with a goal to aim for. Be it weight loss, or performance, otherwise there is no point in continuing.

5) You must do regular, at least once a month, fitness tests, ie counting the number of heart beats to recover to a certain level.

The bottom line is that a 1 hour structured session on a indoor trainer is worth two + hours on the road.

And yes of course we all prefer to ride on the road rather than an indoor trainer, but with the recent poor weather conditions, my point is that all is not lost.

OP
OP
Lambchop

Lambchop

Some very valid points there, some of which I hadn't even thought of.

A Heart rate monitor will be my next purchase!

AlanW said:
In terms of actual work load it is the same. However, because you sweat more for the reasons already mentioned, you think that it is harder.

But on the plus side, you can tailor a very specific training programme using a indoor trainer, depending on the version of trainer you have of course.

But there are several keys to how successful you are:

1) The only successful way to train on a indoor trainer is by using a heart rate monitor.

2) The warm up period is by far the most important part, spend at least 1/4hr getting your heart rate up to tempo.

3) You must have a programme to follow, otherwise you will get bored and give up!

4) Above all you must be in the right frame of mind, with a goal to aim for. Be it weight loss, or performance, otherwise there is no point in continuing.

5) You must do regular, at least once a month, fitness tests, ie counting the number of heart beats to recover to a certain level.

The bottom line is that a 1 hour structured session on a indoor trainer is worth two + hours on the road.

And yes of course we all prefer to ride on the road rather than an indoor trainer, but with the recent poor weather conditions, my point is that all is not lost.

stabit

AlanW said:

I'd agree with most of your other comments, but not so sure on this one.

I'm starting my 3rd winter of turbo work, and have just installed a cycle computer which reads the speed from the rear wheel. I used to class the HRM as an essential piece of kit for turbo sessions but I've found the speedo to be much more useful than the HRM, which surprised me.

For me, the turbo trainer is invaluable for improving fitness during the winter. The first winter was the hardest because I spent all those hours on it not knowing if it would be worth it, but as soon as spring came around and I got out on the road again regularly I noticed a big improvement in fitness. Now I approach all the turbo sessions armed with the knowledge that by doing them I am going to enjoy my cycling a lot more when the good weather comes around again. I actually enjoy riding on the turbo now :biggrin:

stabit said:

I'm starting my 3rd winter of turbo work, and have just installed a cycle computer which reads the speed from the rear wheel. I used to class the HRM as an essential piece of kit for turbo sessions but I've found the speedo to be much more useful than the HRM, which surprised me.

For me, the turbo trainer is invaluable for improving fitness during the winter. The first winter was the hardest because I spent all those hours on it not knowing if it would be worth it, but as soon as spring came around and I got out on the road again regularly I noticed a big improvement in fitness. Now I approach all the turbo sessions armed with the knowledge that by doing them I am going to enjoy my cycling a lot more when the good weather comes around again. I actually enjoy riding on the turbo now :biggrin:

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Surely using rear wheel speed as a performance indicator depends on you always using the same gear, the same resistance on the turbo, and the same tyre pressure (impossible given our constantly changing weather).

I know I use the turbo resistance/gears to vary the resistance at which I warm up. Once warmed up, I get the music on at 165bpm and train accordingly, using the HRM to monitor my approximate output. I thought this was the way to use a turbo/HRM?? Can't see how a rear wheel speedo helps?

gbb

Legendary Member
stabit said:

For me, the turbo trainer is invaluable for improving fitness during the winter. The first winter was the hardest because I spent all those hours on it not knowing if it would be worth it, but as soon as spring came around and I got out on the road again regularly I noticed a big improvement in fitness. Now I approach all the turbo sessions armed with the knowledge that by doing them I am going to enjoy my cycling a lot more when the good weather comes around again. I actually enjoy riding on the turbo now :laugh:

As a leisure / fitness cyclist, i use the turbo as a tool to maintain fitness....my days of trying to improve it are gone mentally :biggrin::laugh:

I get tetchy, mardy, aggravated if i feel i'm losing fitness during the winter months. I only use the turbo maybe 3 or 4 times during the winter, but its worth its weight in gold for my sanity when i cant get out on the bike.

You're absolutely right tho about feeling the difference when spring comes around :ohmy:

Top Bottom