Turbo trainer tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andsaw

I have been using my new TT and have noticed there is rubber dust on the frame as if i have been doing burnouts, the wheel isnt slipping as such but i pumped up to correct pressure today and wondered if i have it adjusted correctly as in too soft and need to turn the adjuster a little more, any suggestions?

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Have you a standard tyre or a turbo specific tyre on ?

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
A standard tyre will deteriorate on a turbo quicker than it will on the road due to heat build up etc. I found this out after running a Michelin Pro 3 on my rollers, produced a 6mm wide flat band in just under an hour.
I've just ordered a turbo specific tyre, need a spare rear wheel for it now as I don't fancy swapping tyres every time I have a roller session planned.

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

A standard tyre will deteriorate on a turbo quicker than it will on the road due to heat build up etc. I found this out after running a Michelin Pro 3 on my rollers, produced a 6mm wide flat band in just under an hour.
I've just ordered a turbo specific tyre, need a spare rear wheel for it now as I don't fancy swapping tyres every time I have a roller session planned.
Oh dear, what have you ordered by the way, i will have to look around.

I use a Tacx tyre, excellent value, they do still shed a little and blister but mine will have at least 5000km on it and still going strong

gbb

Legendary Member
It has to depend on the particular make of tyre, obviously some can take turbo use, some can't.
Ive been running my normal Gatorskin shod wheel on a turbo for years, never had any excess wear, heat buildup etc etc etc.
No need to change anything, no need for a seperate wheel (in my case)

gbb

Legendary Member
I have been using my new TT and have noticed there is rubber dust on the frame as if i have been doing burnouts, the wheel isnt slipping as such but i pumped up to correct pressure today and wondered if i have it adjusted correctly as in too soft and need to turn the adjuster a little more, any suggestions?

I suspect you've adjusted it too tight, too much friction is making the tyre shred.
TBF, i don't go mad on a turbo, i adjust mine so its using the minimum pressure between roller and tyre under normal use...if i get out the saddle and give it beans, it may slip a tiny bit, but nothing dangerous....you don't want it too tight IMO.
I assume thats why i dont have to have to go to the faff of having a specific tyre, and therefor wheel as well.

Top Bottom