Turbo trainer & Zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattony

Hi

I’m sure this has been covered to death but I can’t find any reference to my specific trainer.

I couldn’t find my trainer in the list when I setup my account and just selected not listed not really giving it much thought but when I’m putting in so much effort and not getting any distance I started wondering why and realised the selected turbo makes a difference.

My trainer was given to me from a friend and is basic, I’ve fitted a Wahoo speed sensor to the rear wheel and pair this to my phone, will use iPad for bigger screen when I work out where to put it

Anyway the turbo is a health line elite fitness, ideally I wouldnt be buying a replacement trainer so I thought I’d ask in case there is another way.

Thanks

Attachments

• BAD8AE3B-7728-4892-A068-B2FA8B9C13A8.jpeg
    BAD8AE3B-7728-4892-A068-B2FA8B9C13A8.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 56

CXRAndy

Guru
For a trainer to be recognised by Zwift sim, it needs to transmit Ant+ or Bluetooth. You have a basic 'dumb' trainer. The best you can possibly get is virtual power calculated by Zwift. I believe you need cadence, speed and HR sonsors.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Hi

I’m sure this has been covered to death but I can’t find any reference to my specific trainer.

I couldn’t find my trainer in the list when I setup my account and just selected not listed not really giving it much thought but when I’m putting in so much effort and not getting any distance I started wondering why and realised the selected turbo makes a difference.

My trainer was given to me from a friend and is basic, I’ve fitted a Wahoo speed sensor to the rear wheel and pair this to my phone, will use iPad for bigger screen when I work out where to put it

Anyway the turbo is a health line elite fitness, ideally I wouldnt be buying a replacement trainer so I thought I’d ask in case there is another way.

Thanks
This article might be helpful to you - https://zwiftinsider.com/virtual-power/

OP
OP
F

fattony

Yep I've realised I have a dumb trainer, so approximately 100w is 13mph, could I select a different trainer and see if the power gives me a similar speed?

I have a Wahoo sensor (mounted on the rear hub) which has these features:
  • Track and capture cycling speed data on your i phone, Android, and bike computer
  • Lightweight and easy to install - no magnets. Mounts to any bike's wheel hub
  • Connects wirelessly via Bluetooth 4.0 and ANT+ on your iPhone, Android, and/or bike computer
  • Works with Zwift and trainerroad! capture speed on your favourite indoor cycling platform
  • See strava on your handlebars! also works with the free Wahoo Fitness app, ridewithgps, mapmyride, cyclemeter, and more
Zwift currently puts my speed at approximately 3km at 100w and as you can imagne hills kill my distance and ruins the experience, I'm on the lookout for a 2nd hand trainer but also want a spare wheel, conscious not wanting to spend too much as I'm not 100% sure how much I will use it

I cant actually work out how to edit the trainer in zwift, I did email them and they didnt answer, thought Id ask here in case anyone knows

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fattony

Well I think I've found a happy medium until I can find the right trainer, I selected a different model instead of 'other' and I tried it out, at 120w at 0 % incline I was doing approx 20kmh so its a bit slower than on the road but instead of 3km up the hills I'm getting 8-10kmh, as I said slower than it should be but fast enough to have a go at it

si_c

Guru
Well I think I've found a happy medium until I can find the right trainer, I selected a different model instead of 'other' and I tried it out, at 120w at 0 % incline I was doing approx 20kmh so its a bit slower than on the road but instead of 3km up the hills I'm getting 8-10kmh, as I said slower than it should be but fast enough to have a go at it
Sounds like it is ball park. Ultimately with virtual power you're just guesstimating a bit.

If you enjoy using zwift then consider an upgrade to an interactive smart trainer.

Top Bottom