Turbo Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

azzhill

Regular
Hello all,

With the weather starting to turn i am looking at getting a turbo trainer.

Can anyone recommend a good one for around £200-£300

I don't need a wireless computer as i will use my Garmin and heart rate bits. But i do want one that can change the resistance from the handlebars whilst riding and have a number of resistance levels.

Many thanks

OP
OP
A

azzhill

Regular
oh and any good training DVD's too?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Forget units with varying resistance! Get a fluid trainer with a progressive resistance curve and use your gears to control the resistance.

With this in mind, my recommendation is as follows:

Turbo: Cyclops Fluid 2

DVD/Workout Videos: Anything by Sufferfest. Or devise your own sessions and learn to focus on your body while riding it. Personally, I find music, tv etc to be distracting, this is ok for long boring sessions, but for proper training, I find it a hindrance.

OP
OP
A

azzhill

Regular
Forget units with varying resistance! Get a fluid trainer with a progressive resistance curve and use your gears to control the resistance.

With this in mind, my recommendation is as follows:

Turbo: Cyclops Fluid 2

DVD/Workout Videos: Anything by Sufferfest. Or devise your own sessions and learn to focus on your body while riding it. Personally, I find music, tv etc to be distracting, this is ok for long boring sessions, but for proper training, I find it a hindrance.

Thanks Rob,

How does the fluid trainer work?

is it this one you mean:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CycleOps-Cl...7HWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348564251&sr=8-1

Cheers

Aaron

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Basically the resistance unit is a fan/turbine housed in a sealed case filled with a viscous fluid. As your wheel spins it turns the turbine in the fluid, the faster it is turning the more the resistance. So you use your gears to control the resistance level much like you do on the road. It feels more road like, it is simpler in use than variable resistance units and it is quite quiet.

I think the one you linked is correct, this one is for sure the right one: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cycleops/fluid-2-trainer-ec007003

amaferanga

Veteran
With a fluid trainer you use the gears on your bike to increase resistance. In other words, the faster you get the harder it becomes. They tend to be more road-like in feel compared to magnetic turbo trainers.

I absolutely recommend the Fluid 2 as well. I have one and I simply cannot fault it. I also have an Elite Supercrono Fluid turbo (that my girlfriend uses once or twice a year) and it's rubbish, hence why I bought the Fluid 2. It seems to get good reviews, but I think most of these are from people who have never used a turbo before so don't actually know what they're talking about. So I recommend you don't buy an Elite Supercrono Fluid turbo.

Top Bottom