Turbo Trainers (pros and con ?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cheers matey..
If it wasn't for you guys giving me some brilliant advice I never would of got one to 'be honest :-) :-)

maroon

Über Member

vickster

Legendary Member
Hello
Just seen this yes I still have it , willing to come down in price as desparetly need the space do let me know if any interest
The OP of this thread has bought one now he says

Sell yours through ebay or gumtree, should be easy as you're in London

Jason

Just so i can join the OP online,the good lady has ok'd buying of the wahoo kickr snap "as long as she can use it sometimes"

The next hour or two may be spent watching videos ..... Of the snap obviously!!!!

Anyone aware of it being sold for less tban £499?

Diz

I have also recently set up a basic turbo (tacx bluematic) I have used it on Zwift and using you tube and will also try TR with a recent Chest Infection and a 2 year old in tow it has been great so far to get some miles in without risk of getting ill again. I am looking forward to a club run though and restarting commuting but it's a fantastic second option and gives me no excuse to not do anything. I toyed with the smart trainer option but full set up on this has only cost me £70 and will only be used until I can bolt on extra mileage on the commute.

Diz

Nice one Diz.Glad to see your enjoying it :-)
Thanks I bought the Turbo on Thursday and with this bug going around I would've never of gone out so I see it as 75 miles gained and it is much easier to do HIIT sessions so I am looking forward to see what gains I can get out of training indoors when back on the road!

Tin Pot

Guru
Just so i can join the OP online,the good lady has ok'd buying of the wahoo kickr snap "as long as she can use it sometimes"

The next hour or two may be spent watching videos ..... Of the snap obviously!!!!

Anyone aware of it being sold for less tban £499?

I’d recommend you get pedal based power meters instead. I use PowerTap P1S.

You will want power readings outdoors, and even if you can afford both...the readings don’t map from one to the other.

I just got one too, loving Zwift. Helps me get more training in when the nights are dark and I can't extend the commute because I have a dog waiting at home for his walk. I'm not racing, but want to improve my fitness to do C2C way of roses in 2 days in relative ease.

Jason

I’d recommend you get pedal based power meters instead. I use PowerTap P1S.

You will want power readings outdoors, and even if you can afford both...the readings don’t map from one to the other.

Understand where you are coming from in terms of a power meter, but for me it's more about having the immersive experience of Zwift (actually makes me want to get on the bike and do some exercise indoors), than the power figures, FTP, watts per kg etc. At 50+ i'm resigned to being slower, but fitter than my 40's

mkmark666

As its a basic no frills turbo trainer I fitted a spare cycle computer ( wireless type) to the rear wheel so I can roughly record my progress. The signal from the sender was not strong enough for it to reach the computer on the handle bars so I've simply mounted the spare computer to the turbo trainer. Its easy enough to read when you look down.

Hi Johnnyb47,

Regarding the Cycle Computer, I also found the signal too weak to reach the computer if it was mounted on the handlebars. I resolved this by fitting the sensor as high up the seat stay as possible i.e. with the magnet towards the wheel rim (It's an old fork mounted sensor fixed by zip ties so didn't have to fit on the chain stay necessarily). Then fitting the the computer about halfway along the top tube reduced the distance such that the sensor and computer could successfully communicate. More convenient than having it attached to the turbo trainer maybe if you want to press buttons to view average speed, elapsed time etc... or if it's a struggle to read the display
Just a thought......

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi @mkmark666.
Sorry if I looked ignorant to your message. I've just this minute seen it.
I shall certainly try your idea out as it seems a lot better than mine,
As for the Turbo training its going really well. I've got into a nice routine now. I found the resistance level I had initially set was a little to hard for me for prolonged rides so have turned it down a setting. It was making the ride somewhat tortuous and off putting even though it was probably better for me. I would rather have an easier workout and enjoy it and be "keen" to have another go the next day than slog my way through one and dread the next one.
Also cycling at the same cadence can become mind numbingly boring and have found it better to Cycle as hard as I can in 20 seconds bursts then relax down for a 40 seconds. It seems to built up a good work out and and a short time to recover before the next burst. Doing this seems to make the time go nowhere whilst on the trainer.
All the best :-) :-)

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I've used mine a lot lately, it's been a godsend with this lousy weather, I've found the GCN training videos really good, did a 35 minute GCN video this morning, then pedalled along for 45 minutes whilst watching stage 5 of the tour down under, just tried to keep the same cadence as the peleton, if the road went uphill I put the bike in a harder gear, downhill into an easier gear, it does helps to keep your fitness something like.

Top Bottom