Turbo trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
A week in to 'the healing process' I'm starting to think about getting back on the bike....obviously in due time and when the physio says I can etc. I'm thinking about borrowing or buying a turbo trainer so I can spend March cycling in safety without worrying about falling off etc but building up my leg muscles and starting to train for the big trip...and I have a couple of questions.

1) Are turbo trainers better than exercise bikes, and why?
2) Any recommendations on turbo trainers?
3) Someone mentioned I'd need a new back tyre for Liesl...is that so and are there any other things like that I'm currently unaware of??

Thanks in advance....

gbb

Legendary Member
New tyre for Liesl ????
I run a normal Conti Gator on my turbo. NO wear, no problem, no heat.

Dave5N

Über Member
Much better - proper position etc - and it's your bike.
parker international have the Elite mag Light on offer at the moment - only £69.99

I use ordinary (old) tyres, I have never overheated. SHould I pedal faster?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Interesting, wonder if the husband had it wrong ref the tyres. I've got Spesh nimbus armadillos (touring tyres) - would they not be too wide??

Is the Elite Mag Light okay?

Dave5N

Über Member
It has a reasonable rep I think - never heard anything bad said about it. Certainly great value at that price.

GBH was right, a turbo specific tyre is best, but really only if you have a spare wheel as well as they are b*ggers to change.

I wouldn't use an expensive road tyre as they do wear square quite quick. As I said, I use up old ones.

Turbo-riding is probably the most mind-numbingly boring activity ever thought of though. So be warned.

I have even redocorated the wall opposite the bike before now, just so I can watch the paint dry as a welcome distraction while I'm riding.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice. Am expecting dullness but it's my best option to start building up the muscle again. It'll only be for a month or so and then I'll be on the roads again hopefully. That's why I'm hoping to borrow one!!

Peter

1) Are turbo trainers better than exercise bikes, and why?

I personally prefer trainers, as you are cycling on your on bike. Same size, same position etc.

2) Any recommendations on turbo trainers?

Turbo trainers are notoriously boring - I have the Tacx Fortius with all the real life videos and virtual reality, and still cannot manage more than an hour at a time.

3) Someone mentioned I'd need a new back tyre for Liesl...is that so and are there any other things like that I'm currently unaware of??

Conti do a trainer specific tyre, which I have used, but can't see any difference from a normal tyre. You will need a lot of will power to use the turbo on a regular basis :idea:

stevenb

I'm ordering my Tacx Sirius gel tomorrow :idea: Looking forward to it.
They are boring....but the resuslts speak for themselves when you are out on the bike.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My first time on a turbo. I started to pedal and after what seemed a decent interval I had a look to see how long I'd been going. 2 minutes. I found that by putting some music on and breaking things down to 5 minute chunks I could manage about 15 mins. On one occasion I actually managed to do a full 45 mins. I never repeated that tho'. Mind Numbingly Boring is a bit of an understatement IMO. How folks manage to get any worthwhile training in on turbos defeats my ability to comprehend. I'd rather go out in a freezing rainstorm anytime.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Yeah but with a broken leg, this is surely a better option for building up what is a rapidly wasting set of leg muscles! I totally expect it to be mindnumbing but if I stick it in front of the box set of Sex and the City, I MUST be able to last an episode a day? And then I'll be mended and back on the roads!!!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cathryn said:
Yeah but with a broken leg, this is surely a better option for building up what is a rapidly wasting set of leg muscles! I totally expect it to be mindnumbing but if I stick it in front of the box set of Sex and the City, I MUST be able to last an episode a day? And then I'll be mended and back on the roads!!!

I was getting over a broken collar bone when I tried. So good luck - give it a go, it can't do any harm. Maybe I should have set up a telly when I tried.

BTW - sorry to hear about the leg. Get well soon :idea:

Danny

Legendary Member
A few years ago I was out of action for a month or so as a result of dislocating my kneecap. The muscles on my leg felt as if they had wasted away to nothing, but I found that they built up again pretty quickly once my leg was OK. It never occurred to me to use a turbo trainer.

Also, you ought to check with the hospital physiotherapist about what exercises they recommend you undertake to build up your muscles - it might be better to concentrate on those rather than spending time on a turbo trainer (unless you enjoy watching paint dry).

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cathryn - does your signature reveal the reason for your poorly leg?

My lady ride partner did a nasty to her knee skiing - ligaments/cartilege.... She had an op and lots of rehab physio. She then had a bad back for a year till she eventually went to have that checked out. Seems the compensatory position (on and off the bike) she adopted to cope with her weak knee didn't do her back any good. Consequently she basically had nearly a year off the bike/getting back with the knee and another year of back troubles all from the skiing accident. She has had back treatment now and is much better but she still gets twinges in her back.....

Take care :idea:

gbb

Legendary Member
I dont use the turbo for training specifically....just something to keep the legs going when the weathers too bad to go out in.
So, i just sit in front of the telly, chat to the missus, watch a little tv, and pedal away for maybe 1/2 to 1 hour. I dont really get too bored, but the time does go slowly.
Relax, take it steady, and its not too bad at all.

Top Bottom