Turbo Trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Cheers. I only ask because a friend is about to give me their old exercise bike, but I was also mulling over the idea of a turbo trainer.

With an exercise bike you probably won't have the same geometries as your road bike - crank length, seat position, bar position etc. OK for general fitness but not so good for specific training and development IMHO.

Brahan

Über Member
Get a towel to go over your bike and make sure you have lots of water at hand. If you're using your good bike to turbo on it might be worth spraying a bit of GT85 over the parts that will get sweat all over them. You will sweat bucket loads. I have been gathering a few turbo workouts so if anyone would like a few to get started, feel free to PM me.

OP
OP
rockyraccoon

rockyraccoon

Veteran
thank you all! I am convinced! I am definitely getting one.

I wish I had one last night.. it was raining dark and cold and I was missing my daily ride...

While we're on the subject do you have any recommendations?

I live in a flat with new born babies next door and flat bellow therefore I am looking for one as quiet as possible.. Apparently the fluid turbo trainers are much quieter than the mag ones? Is that true and what features should I also be looking for apart from the noise level?
cheers

Hugo15

Über Member
I've got a CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro. Had it a couple of months now and I'm very pleased with it. The CycleOps Fluid2 was recommended in the recent Cycling Weekly group test.

I had a mag trainer before the fluid trainer and IMHO the fluid trainer is significantly better.

carpiste

Guru
I got this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-classic-mag-turbo-trainer/
I`ve only had it 2 days but already love it.Did a 40 minute session yesterday to try it out but today did an hour and intend to do the same sets for a week or so before increasing them.
I don`t think the noise is too bad,just a bit of whirring but it does get a little more noisy on full out sprints but really not too bad.I had the laptop on and watched the story of Roxy music.I could hear it without having the volume up full blast so I guess the turbo isn`t too loud.
The best thing is it`s a good way of keeping fit when I know I won`t be getting out on the road as much,and it`s cheap :thumbsup:

Top Bottom