Turbo training on a 'bent.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Just wondered if anyone used a turbo trainer on their 'bent? I'm picking up a Scott Sub40 on Monday, to have as a back up if the snow's too deep for the trike, and to use on a turbo trainer. I can't see any problem (other than space, and the hassle of setting up then un-setting for the commute) in using the Catrike....in fact I think it would be nice to sit back in comfort in front of the tv watching a film whilst pedaling away.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Never hear of it, but it should be possible as long as there is sufficient clearance between the bike frame and turbo frame, and that you can easily swap out the QR skewer. I guess the biggest problem you would face is that most turbo's are setup to work with 700c or 650c wheel sizes, so you might find your back wheel is too far from the roller, and that the turbo roller adjustment mechanism will require some "modification" to make it work.

Best best is to go to a local shop with your bent and try it out before buying.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

The Catrike has a 700 rear. Think I'll give it a try when I source a trainer, but I'll use the Scott most of the time.

markg0vbr

Über Member
Just put blocks under the front wheels so you are not leaning forward or catching your heals on the floor.
They are good on rollers as well, if you have some small dumbbells you can be working on your Arms at the same time.
You can put the hand bike on rollers as well.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Just put blocks under the front wheels so you are not leaning forward or catching your heals on the floor.
They are good on rollers as well, if you have some small dumbbells you can be working on your Arms at the same time.
You can put the hand bike on rollers as well.

I did briefly try the Catrike on the trainer.....must say, with the front fairing it felt a bit strange, and yes it would def need the front end raising. It would also take up way too much room, so I've got the Scott df set up for the trainer now. The bike/trainer was a bit of an Xmas pressy to the Missus and myself, and it's a doddle to move the seat for her to use it, so I'll prob not use the trike on it.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I'd been molling over the concept of using a 'bent on rollers, which would solve the not-700cc wheel size, wouldn't it ?

It's extremely unlikely ever to happen :sad: but as a mind-exercise .... :wacko:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Had my SMGTe on a trainer (26" rear) when I broke my leg. Seemed to work ok. Mine is rim drive too, which is handy as I have discs so the rims are really just sitting there waiting for action. Minoura something or other, it is.

I use a bacchetta corsa 650c on a turbo at a local club training session. No real problems, just remember, that when the coach(or whoever) is screaming at you, you can't get out the saddle. And be wary of low cadence work.
Otherwise enjoy.

Top Bottom