Turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Yes, this one https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tacx-neo-2-smart-trainer/rp-prod179403 Love mine :notworthy:
in case you’re wondering why I think it’s better (other’s opinions may differ of course) … this is from chain reaction site :

In addition to the pedal stroke analysis, the Neo 2 Smart also brings ascent/descent simulation to every session, letting you push your workout to the limit and imitating inclines up to 25% to really get those thighs throbbing. “Real-Feel” technology gives the sensation of rattling over cobbles and rougher terrains, while “Dynamic Inertia” replicates what you would feel on a real ride. This adds further realness when linked to VR apps such as Tacx Films and Zwift, viewed on your iOS or Android compatible devices. Maxing out at 2200 watts when sprinting, this dazzling direct drive unit lets you push yourself to the max as you make your off season gains in near silence thanks to the super-quiet running of the machine. An excellent bit of kit for any garage or workout area, the Neo Smart 2 is an unbeatable trainer to make sure you are ready and raring to go once the roads become rideable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
Yes, this one https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tacx-neo-2-smart-trainer/rp-prod179403 Love mine :notworthy:
in case you’re wondering why I think it’s better (other’s opinions may differ of course) … this is from chain reaction site :

In addition to the pedal stroke analysis, the Neo 2 Smart also brings ascent/descent simulation to every session, letting you push your workout to the limit and imitating inclines up to 25% to really get those thighs throbbing. “Real-Feel” technology gives the sensation of rattling over cobbles and rougher terrains, while “Dynamic Inertia” replicates what you would feel on a real ride. This adds further realness when linked to VR apps such as Tacx Films and Zwift, viewed on your iOS or Android compatible devices. Maxing out at 2200 watts when sprinting, this dazzling direct drive unit lets you push yourself to the max as you make your off season gains in near silence thanks to the super-quiet running of the machine. An excellent bit of kit for any garage or workout area, the Neo Smart 2 is an unbeatable trainer to make sure you are ready and raring to go once the roads become rideable.
It is £400 more though. However I’ll have a proper look at it. Thanks

si_c

Guru
The Flux 2 is a decent bit of kit - it simulates gradients sufficient that Alp d'Zwift is a hard hard slog and it's quiet enough for my purposes. That being said I may sell it later this year and get a Neo, just depends on my employment situation - I'm hoping to move back to a daily commute that would negate the need for a trainer.

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
The Flux 2 is a decent bit of kit - it simulates gradients sufficient that Alp d'Zwift is a hard hard slog and it's quiet enough for my purposes. That being said I may sell it later this year and get a Neo, just depends on my employment situation - I'm hoping to move back to a daily commute that would negate the need for a trainer.
Mine will just be for winter. Work pressure means I have little daytime and I’m planning on a couple of hours at 5am. I just want something that feels like riding my bike

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
Is there such a thing as a turbo where I can feed it my on road training route and it will simulate it?

GoldenLamprey

That's down to the software, which you can pick independent of hardware. There is an option on cloud.tacx.com (for paying users) to import a gpx file. I have ridden other users' routes, but not tried one of my own yet. Some have videos, but I just run in the background and watch iPlayer or similar. The downhill bits don't feel normal - more of a higher speed and a bit less resistance - but the gradient changes are otherwise good. Rouvy does something similar, but I didn't have a lot of success with that.

I have the original Flux, and it works well. Decent road 'feel' as these things go. The resistance and speed seems similar to actual roads when used with the TACX app - none of the Zwift +10kph more than outdoor speeds that I see on Strava. Maximum gradient is only 10% on that model, which is just about good enough, but I'd prefer more. I think the Flux2 does steeper gradients.

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
Thanks I’m planning on just using tacx rather than zwift etc

si_c

Guru
None of the ones I've used really "feel" like the road, it's a subtly different sensation - not least because of how static it is - once you get used to it though it's fine.

Top Bottom