Turned down for a job - possible discrimination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

I work for a very large company, we simply never ask the question at any stage about people's personal circumstances. If they're applying for the job, it means they've considered it themselves.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I kind of wish I'd called them out for it sooner - they might have felt they had to offer me the job that way!

S-Express

I kind of wish I'd called them out for it sooner - they might have felt they had to offer me the job that way!
Nothing will happen unfortunately. Unless you can prove those questions were asked (which, unless the interview was recorded, I doubt) it will be a case of your word against the interview panel All the interviewers have to do is deny they asked you those questions and we have an instant stalemate.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Nothing will happen unfortunately. Unless you can prove those questions were asked (which, unless the interview was recorded, I doubt) it will be a case of your word against the interview panel All the interviewers have to do is deny they asked you those questions and we have an instant stalemate.
Point.
Even if I did batter them into giving me a job, I wouldn't want to work with them, and if I did they'd find a more legitimate way of getting rid of me pretty quickly.
I'm just making a point. It makes me feel better.

dodgy

Yeah, no point bothering.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Point.
Even if I did batter them into giving me a job, I wouldn't want to work with them, and if I did they'd find a more legitimate way of getting rid of me pretty quickly.
I'm just making a point. It makes me feel better.
You may also be saving future applicants from it. Thank you.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I didn't get my own way I am going to claim discrimination of some form
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ed-asked-to-remove-headscarf-heathrow-airport

some these days fail to realise that decisions result in some people gaining and some losing
It's hardly the same thing.
There have been other jobs that I didn't get, and it was clear why I didn't get them. This time they can't provide a reasonable explanation, so am I going to play the discrimination card? Damn right I am.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Sorry but I wouldn't go with jefmcg's suggested wording - it will just get their backs up.

You need to write a letter/email that outlines:
  • the post you applied for
  • when and where you were interviewed
  • who you were interviewed by (if you can't remember their names then give their positions)
You then need to go on to explain that

"I was surprised to be asked a number of questions during the interview relating to my marital status, whether I had children and how any family commitments might affect me doing the job, particularly as marital status is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010 and employers are advised not to ask questions around marital status, children and family commitments during interviews - I would draw your attention to 16.62 on page 234 of the statutory Code of Practice for Employment, issued by the Equality & Human Rights Commission.

There is nothing in the post of XXXXXXX that would suggest that knowledge of this information was related to a genuine occupational need.

I am concerned that despite being qualified for this post I have been rejected on the basis of questions asked in breach of the provisions of the Equality Act 2010 and that as a result I may have been either directly or indirectly discriminated against.

I would be obliged if you would investigate this matter and provide the following information:
  1. whether the questions asked of each candidate and their asnwers noted?
  2. whether all applicants for this position were asked about their marital status, whether they had children and how any family commitment might affect their ability to do this job?
  3. what the sex is of the person who has been offered this position?
  4. whether the person who has been offered this position disclosed that they had any dependents?
I would be obliged to receive a response to this letter/email within 2 weeks of the date of this letter/email, failing which I may take this matter further.

Should you have any questions, please contact me."
Where were you ten minutes ago?!
I think the less formal approach was appropriate in this instance, but,depending on the response, I will definitely take your advice when going further up the line.

slowwww

Veteran
Sadly I agree with S-Express. Even fully auditable interview packs which gives the applicants responses to each questions and details their performance against required competencies which are an increasing feature of such processes, are not copied and given to the interviewee after the interview, and so would be prone to additional comments being added after the event to give weight to the reason why the candidate offered the role was selected.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Sadly I agree with S-Express. Even fully auditable interview packs which details the applicants responses to each questions and detailing their performance against required competencies which are an increasing feature of such processes, are not copied and given to the interviewee after the interview, and so would be prone to additional comments being added after the event to give weight to the reason why the candidate offered the role was selected.

It doesn't matter, though. I was in a situation once where I took the nothing can be done, give up, move on attitude and wish I hadn't. Potential discrimination needs to be challenged irrespective, or behaviours won't improve.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
So, Josh, resourcing officer, has just rung to ask for full details of what happened. And I told him. his response "uh, oh, uh, yes, well, they shouldn't have asked that"
He is going to look at the interview notes and then somebody from HR will follow it up.
IF they haven't already, they better get on the phone to a woman and offer her the job!

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I suppose they could just lie and say it never happened.
Or I could have them wrong and they've just employed half a dozen women and I was just rubbish:whistle:

Top Bottom