Turning right on roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Hi all, does anyone have any advice regarding turning right on roundabouts for a beginner. At the mo I either alter my route to avoid or cross the road on pavement (walking) as I'm not too confident taking the right hand lane to go all the way round. Cheers in advance.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Take the lane as if you were a car - very important (on the roundabout and as you approach).

Find a small quiet roundabout to start with, and gradually work up to the larger roundabouts. The largest ones often have lights which helps generally, but you still feel you need to be going fairly fast on them. And to perhaps build up confidence if multi lane you could try going straight on first.

betty swollocks

large member
Easy to type: more difficult to do -
* have confidence
* claim your space on the road - you have a perfect right to be there
* manoeuvre early and make your intentions obvious by arm signalling - try and make eye contact with the motorists
* try and match the speed of the other approaching traffic.

ASC1951

Guru
betty swollocks said:
Easy to type: more difficult to do -
* manoeuvre early and make your intentions obvious by arm signalling
I always do big arm signals on the bike - straight arm, hand above shoulder level.

The typical roadie signal, with a finger pointing lazily at something just to the side of the back wheel, is worse than useless. Motorists can't see it and you ride as if they can.

purplepolly

Hi Potsy

A lot depends on the size of the roundabout and how fast the traffic goes, but if it's a smaller type (not a motorway one or similar) then a right turn in the right hand lane can be safer than say going straight on in the left hand lane. In fact I've altered my route home from work in order to turn right on a busy two lane roundabout rather than go straight over it.

Going straight on in the left hand lane, you're not very visible to drivers waiting to join because you're in the corner of their vision and they may think you're turning left.

In the right hand lane you're more visible to drivers waiting to join the roundabout, there's less doubt about where you're going, and you're further away from cars that do pull out onto the roundabout. It's cars pulling out onto the roundabout that are the biggest danger.

Try getting up early at the weekend and practising when there's not much traffic about and:-

cycle in the middle of the lane
keep checking the traffic to your left and behind
keep an eye on traffic waiting to join

It's also a lot easier if you can start off quickly and keep up a reasonable speed on the roundabout. So it might be better to sitck to walking round when the traffic's heavier until you can do this.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1. Just as National Standards Instructors would teach. Also eye contact with on coming drivers is very important, so take of dark sunglasses for a few moments. :biggrin:
summerdays said:
Take the lane as if you were a car - very important (on the roundabout and as you approach).

Find a small quiet roundabout to start with, and gradually work up to the larger roundabouts. The largest ones often have lights which helps generally, but you still feel you need to be going fairly fast on them. And to perhaps build up confidence if multi lane you could try going straight on first.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Thanks for the advice everyone I guess it is just a confidence thing and I should get better with practice, I work shifts so one way it's always quiet so will practice then and hopefully will wonder what I was bothered about in a few weeks. Did 2 days commute this week then came down with 'man flu' so took the car, can't believe how much I missed the bike. :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Confidence is a large part of it, along with giving clear signals and trying to make eye contact. It is well covered in Cyclecraft which is well worth reading...

buggi

Bird Saviour
Your confidence will increase massively once you realise how much easier and safer it is to take primary position .

1. as you are coming up to the island, give yourself plenty of time and clearly signal right. look behind if you can to get eye contact and put your palm towards the driver as if telling him to "stop". be assertive, it works, 9 times out of 10 they will slow down and let you in. give 'em a quick thumbs up to say thanks.

2. move into the right lane and take the middle of the lane (primary position).

3. Go around the island in the middle of the inside lane (primary) so that no cars can overtake or undertake you in the lane, or squeeze you to either side.

4. keep a reasonable speed but don't worry too much about it. remember when you took your driving test and they told you that you should be in 2nd gear? well you can't go fast in 2nd gear and that's the speed cars should be going round anyway, so you are not technically holding anyone up.

5. when you want to come off, signal left and keep primary position as you come off onto the road you are turning into for a few more yards before cycling towards the left kerb again (thus not allowing impatient drivers to squeeze you into the kerb too soon ... especially if there are bollards in the middle of the road you are turning into). don't be worried about traffic that was previously in the left lane as you came around the island, as technically they should have left the island by now, if they are driving correctly (obviously still check though!)

6. once you have done it once and realise how easy it is, you will never look back.

potsy said:
Thanks for the advice everyone I guess it is just a confidence thing and I should get better with practice, I work shifts so one way it's always quiet so will practice then and hopefully will wonder what I was bothered about in a few weeks. Did 2 days commute this week then came down with 'man flu' so took the car, can't believe how much I missed the bike. ;)

I'm at the same stage as you with cycling and dread the roundbouts and busy city,I dont want to have to avoid them as i will miss out so much. The drivers around here dont seem to give much concern for cyclists so I guess I need to take the control and be more assertive.

Great advice has been given and helped me alot!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1
buggi said:
Your confidence will increase massively once you realise how much easier and safer it is to take primary position .

1. as you are coming up to the island, give yourself plenty of time and clearly signal right. look behind if you can to get eye contact and put your palm towards the driver as if telling him to "stop". be assertive, it works, 9 times out of 10 they will slow down and let you in. give 'em a quick thumbs up to say thanks.

2. move into the right lane and take the middle of the lane (primary position).

3. Go around the island in the middle of the inside lane (primary) so that no cars can overtake or undertake you in the lane, or squeeze you to either side.

4. keep a reasonable speed but don't worry too much about it. remember when you took your driving test and they told you that you should be in 2nd gear? well you can't go fast in 2nd gear and that's the speed cars should be going round anyway, so you are not technically holding anyone up.

5. when you want to come off, signal left and keep primary position as you come off onto the road you are turning into for a few more yards before cycling towards the left kerb again (thus not allowing impatient drivers to squeeze you into the kerb too soon ... especially if there are bollards in the middle of the road you are turning into). don't be worried about traffic that was previously in the left lane as you came around the island, as technically they should have left the island by now, if they are driving correctly (obviously still check though!)

6. once you have done it once and realise how easy it is, you will never look back.

ASC1951 said:
I always do big arm signals on the bike - straight arm, hand above shoulder level.

Me too.....exactly as this, SIT UP straight, claim the primary position in the correct lane as required, and match the traffic speed, and then when your heading towards the exit you require, take the required road position to leave, look over your right shoulder, and THANK the following car......it'll get you some support!

ALWAYS consider your safety!:evil:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1 especially "THANK the following car"
stoatsngroats said:
Me too.....exactly as this, SIT UP straight, claim the primary position in the correct lane as required, and match the traffic speed, and then when your heading towards the exit you require, take the required road position to leave, look over your right shoulder, and THANK the following car......it'll get you some support!

ALWAYS consider your safety!:evil:

Top Bottom