TW Trident: help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frenchbent

Hi,

Anyone got a TW Bents Trident? I've just bought one, but can't get the front derailleur to work properly.

Straight out of the box, the chain would foul where it was entering the derailleur when on the big chain wheel. I moved the derailleur further away to stop the chain fouling, but then couldn't get all three gears to engage. I contacted the distributer and TW Bents who sent me adjustment details for a Shimano FD-3403, which specifies a 1-3mm gap. However, the derailleur that's on the trike is a Shimano FD-3304.

I contacted the distributer and TW Bents to check which derailleur should be fitted, but haven't had a reply.

So does anyone have a TW Bents Trident and if so:
- what is the front derailleur?
- could you please send me a photo of how the front derailleur is set up?

Cheers,
Nigel

byegad

Legendary Member
It's a similar set up for all front dérailleurs. You need the cage just high enough to clear the big ring as you change up from the middle ring. There are two stops controlled by little screws, one limits the movement outwards and up, the other down and in.
You can adjust the height on the cage by loosening the clamp bolt and wiggling it up or down, then check the cage is going outwards far enough to change gear but not so far as to take the chain outside the big ring. Similarly adjust the inner ring change to the Goldilocks position of not too far, just far enough.

If you are really stuck and Local Bike Shop can adjust it for you. All the components on the changer are standard bike parts, expect to pay a few pounds for the adjustment, after all you didn't buy the bike from them. They will also ofer a check up after a couple of hundred miles at a reasonable price. If you bought any bike from a decent dealer they'd do this for free.

In the long run a generic bike handbook, Haynes do one but there are others, gives you lots of info' on maintaining any bike and a recumbent is still 95% bike components.

Hope this helps.:biggrin:

OP
OP
F

frenchbent

Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't help much because when set up like you suggest the chain fouls the derailleur where it enters it.

I took it to my LBS in France where they sucked their teeth and said that for a mere €60 they would deign to look at it, but couldn't guarantee sorting it. That's why I contacted the distributer and TW Bents for adjustment instructions. As the 3403/3304 issue has raised it's head, I would like to make sure that the front derailleur is the right one before going back to my LBS.

All the best,
Nigel

byegad

Legendary Member
Can you post a picture (A close up of the front changer and chain entering it.) of your bent? If so maybe we can help. :biggrin:

OP
OP
F

frenchbent

Your wish etc: :biggrin:

IMGP4519.jpg

byegad

Legendary Member
OK!

So maybe it's the stopping screws that are wrong. From your picture, with the guard in the way the height looks OK.

Can you describe the problem from the point of view of riding along on the middle ring and you try to change up to the big ring?

OP
OP
F

frenchbent

I took this photo to show the problem to TW Bents. Although the height looks OK, what you can't see is that the chain is rubbing against the derailleur where it enters on the left. I haven't actually riden it with the derailleur in this position, so can't answer your question from the perspective of the derailleur in this position.

When I've had the derailleur higher up, then it hasn't been possible to get changes between all three rings.

3tyretrackterry

try taking a pic from dead straight from the front the FD could be slightly twisted. though i was looking at the pic and the FD looks too far back to me .ie the FD post looks like the angle may be slightly too far back. Best place to try is Bentrider an american forum the TW Brand is quite popular over there
It is possible that the boom may be slightly twisted as in the FD post is not vertical
HTH

OP
OP
F

frenchbent

Good idea: I'll try over the pond. Just hope that they can understand me ;)

Release the cable from the derailleur, then move it up the tube a couple or three mm, then reattach the cable and adjust, the derailleur mounting tube is at too acute an angle in relation to the boom, but there is nothing you can do about that.

Top Bottom