twinkle's single seater velo project 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks

The weather has been too cold to do much , some of the rear end is welded together ,the MKl jackshaft assembled to check all is well before the manufacture of the mkll with built in rear disc brake .
The rear wheels are built and now shod with 20x1.75 tyres , currently l am trying to source a 36h large flange front quando disc hub so I can build the other front wheel ( MTB style ).
I have the rest of the bits and now its the process of plodding along on the build

@mickle here is the rear subframe unit and mkl jackshaft

The mkll version will have a bolt on fixed sprocket so it cannot unscrew under braking
jack02.jpg
jack01.jpg
quadssrear.jpg
quadssfrear.jpg

the gold hub unit is holding the rear lugs in position.
The lugs once lived on a bmx that gave its life for the rims and one head tube assembly .
regards emma

Wish I was as clever as you to build a trike , looks a nice project and can wait to see it completed. Good luck with your build and keep posting some pics.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
The jack shaft has been modified a couple of times and now is the mklll version , it has a bolt on fixed sprocket and a larger 160mm rotor ( the bolt on sprocket cannot unscrew when the rotor is braked )
next stage is mount the rear mech on the dropout before it is welded into position

regards emma
jackmklll.jpg

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks

Too cold to do much , sunny but air temps of 4 degrees and cold in the wind

2 x 40mm x3 mm plates made to secure the assembly to the centre boom cut to length.
WP_20160215_003.jpg
WP_20160215_002.jpg

The rear jackshaft drop outs made and shaped then tapped for the rear mech before tacking into position before calling it a day ( its a day )
Its too cold to stay outside .

Now where is my hot water bottle ?

Next stage is the 1/8 chain and check all is well before the manufacture of the rear disc mount

(slowly slow catchie monkey )

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi folks

A little more jigging up and designing , The chain is fitted and the bolt on rear drive sprocket runs nicely in line .
The rear brake will fit beside and under the main boom and that will be bolts via the 40x3mm plates to the rear subframe assembly
@mickle jackshaft in position with gear mech and rear rotor , its going to be tight under the seat for everything ( racing car clearances again )
The seat mount bars will be at 45 degrees and the seat will be about 12" off the ground
At least the USS wont be mounted under the seat on this one .

I still have not found another quando LF front disc hub so the front end can wait until its warmer
WP_20160223_001.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am not critisizing Emma. My mechanical ability goes as far as changing a tyre. Not always correctly.

But this trike looks as though it is going to be very heavy.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Steve
@steveindenmark
I don't think you are going to be far wrong :hyper::cheers:

This trike is going to be a QUAD with bodyshell and electric assist so I am estimating about 140-160 lbs with a body shell ( probably adding another 25lbs for motor and battery ) . This rear end with diff unit is a lot heavier than I would like :-
but
With the whole rear end removable IF it is too heavy it wont take too much to scratch build a single wheel drive rear end or twin sprag hub differential with lighter weight components.
Mickle supplied the diff rear end at a sensible price ( thanks Mick ) and it should I hope work

Once the chassis is built I will weigh it and post the results and of course the test ride results , Currently I am stuck as I cannot find a LF steel quando front disc hub that can be modified to a thicker axle

I hope to add lightness when I build the body shell using light ply and blue foam with an epoxy and thin nylon skin ( model aircraft building style )
The design of the shell I hope will allow the mechanics to be easily accessible for servicing and lift off with a few bolts.

The quadem project was the prototype for this single seater velo project .

Hopefully the body shell will reduce the drag factor and the ASSIST will assist up hill .

time will see

regards emma

Andrew1971

Veteran
I can't wait to see this one finished. Keep up the good work Emma:smile:
Andrew

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi folks

Now I have finished the Girino trike and have cleared thework bench again, I can start to concentrate again on this project . A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to get another quando front MTB disc hub from the local tip to modify for the 2nd front wheel ( 14mm spindles ) , together with a nice pair of matching ( to the rear ) rims attached to a BMX bike . I am always amazed what people throw away there !
The 12mm pillow blocks arrived from China for the steering column and I hove to use a small leather steering wheel I found in the garage .
I also have a new freewheel 11-30t and 3 new chains , salvaging a good rear mech from another scrap MTB .

regards emma

Top Bottom