Twist Shifter fitting Extension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Been bodging around in garage for options on twist shifter fitting, am loathe to pay £40 for the hubbub thing, so:-

I wanted to try to give myself choices for locating a twist shifter on any type of handlebar. I used a 100mm straight length from an old flat bar. I cut two 20mm slots on each side. Used pliers to fold down opposing flaps and then cut these flaps off. I then used vice to flatten and flare out the remaining flaps, and roughly filed round the edges. For fitting to bars I'd decided on a narrow band, 8mm wide, jubilee clip. So I needed to cut 10mm slots at the base of each flap. I did this by drilling 3x2mm holes on each side then using a small tubular hacksaw blade to file them to a slot. I then fitted a bit of foam tubular grip to the drop bars and cable tied the extension over this. It all seems to work so I just need to buy the right size jubilee clip. When that's tightened the fit should be much stronger and it should shape the remaining flaps round the bar more. Only risk is that the base of the flaps gets too weak and thus breaks. However, if it holds, I've then got a twist shifter fitting that can go on any bar, anywhere and at any angle. Old bit of bar was free from LBS, this took 30 minutes and a jubilee clip is about 50p. Just couldn't bring myself to spend £20-40 on an adaptor.

picture.php

Top Bottom