Twisted Rear Mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I still got to confirm but I think I've twisted the rear mech on my commuting bike, it took a nasty bash yesterday. It seemed OK after I untwisted it but I'm not sure if it is index to the correct gears or goes to the the extremes, ie largest or smallest cassete. It was too dark and wet this morning and I never had enough time to confirm. If it is twisted how much damage does it do the bike or will I be able soldier on for a while?

btw I think its a Shimano Deore Top Normal in the 500 series perhaps a RD-M511.

Zoom

Über Member
if it's an alloy frame there will be a softer alloy gear hanger which attaches the mech to the frame; often this bends or breaks as it's supposed to and the mech is OK although its primary purpose is to prevent the frame getting bent. Check the hanger first (they are about £10-15 to replace you need the right one, go back to the shop who supplied the bike they should be able to get one; otherwise try the online shops who show the many different types) if it's bent replace it and then try the mech. It's not a major job it's happened to me 3 times. If you are on a long ride it's always worth carrying a spare hanger even if it's bent or the wrong one just to get you home.

in the meantime try bending it back carefully until you can get one useable middle rear gear and use the front gears.

to give you an idea of how many different types there are;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryPro...nesis Racelight T/TK/Crosslight 3 Mech Hanger

llllllll

I bent my gear hanger in a crash couple of years ago now. I just stuck it in a vice and bent it back to shape. It was just going to a temporary measure, but it's still going strong today.

Tynan

Veteran
llllllll said:
I bent my gear hanger in a crash couple of years ago now. I just stuck it in a vice and bent it back to shape. It was just going to a temporary measure, but it's still going strong today.

excellent, good work

still recall an excellent thread on a motorbike forum about best bodges, the winner was someone seen with molegrips replacing a foot peg, that had been there for a year and were going to stay there

Monty Dog

9/10 the mech hanger gets bent rather than the gear mech. You LBS has a tool that they can use to gauge the degree of 'bentness' and straighten it out. If it's a replaceable hanger, they're often made out of steel and can be straightened in a vice - don't try and bend it whilst fitted to the frame as you'll probably just strip / break the mounting screws.

Top Bottom