Two broken down electric bikes, what would you do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Electronics not my thing, but hey....
A talk with a local e-bike independent expert might be fruitful as:
  • He may have come across this issue before and know whether straight away it's economically fixable
  • He may for a few sheckles run a few tests to figure out where the problem lies and whether it's readily/economically fixable - then at least you know whether scrapping makes sense
  • Maybe the battery needs 'reconditioning'. Prestige cars often come with battery reconditioners as standard as those cars tend to sit around a long-time between uses and the battery flunks (we use one for our Campervan)
  • There may already be some aftermarket bits kits/circuitry coming on the market which makes it readily repairable
  • Failing that, @gbb advice seem sensible....
At the end of the day, broken down into component parts; these are electric motors, connected to a battery with a method in between to send more or less electrons between them. Would be surprised if somebody hasn't spotted an opportunity to make bits to do the middle bit. After-all there are kits to convert regular bikes to ebikes, so it can't be beyond the wit of man....

I think I'll steer clear of e-bikes for the time being.

Last edited:
start a pile & buy a 3rd?

sorry, just kidding, couldn't resist

nellietheelephant

How old is the 'older model', and how many years ago did it 'go wrong'? Was it serviced and maintained, and the battery stored and charged in accordance with the manufacturers advice? How quickly did it 'become obsolete', and what exactly is it that you consider to be 'really not fair'?
I'm thinking that depending on the answer to my questions you may be covered by consumer statutory rights, and could expect Halfords and/or the manufacturer to do something about it.

I can't see how there can be any useful suggestions here until these questions are addressed. We don't even know what the make & model of the bike is. And yet everyone is piling in with all sorts of advice and suggestions.

CXRAndy

Guru
You can measure current will volt meter, across a known shunt resistance. But its easier and safer when you use a clamp for high current devices or batteries. First port of call is to check the charger is charging and the battery is accepting the charge. Then is the battery in good condition. You can put a small load like 5A lamp on the battery and check the voltage remains constant and doesn't drop down quickly. Then its connections, this can be a little more awkward depending on the cable layout. If you are getting the necessary voltages at the display and motor. Then it will involve dismantling these items to look for obvious damage. Maybe a little bit more testing with a meter.

gbb

Legendary Member
I can't see how there can be any useful suggestions here until these questions are addressed. We don't even know what the make & model of the bike is. And yet everyone is piling in with all sorts of advice and suggestions.

Yes...and no. The principles and components are pretty much the same whatever the bikes manufacture.

Battery, cables, motor, display and any connections in-between. Primary and fairly easy things to check are connections, it's a principle you can use with almost anything electronic or electrical .

Equally, make and model can help illuminate folk to known and common problems particular to that model.

Neither are exclusively right...or wrong :okay:

Often you can wire up to hub motors without too many issues and the same for batteries if the controller isn't built in. It's really the bit inbetween the controller and display that could be proprietary. You can buy a controller and display combination on aliexpress for around £20-25 delivered that would need wiring/soldering in etc. This sort of thing;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004324287476.html

Top Bottom