Two Idiots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

[Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24)]

Cyclist should have been prosecuted for no lights.

will be classed as contributory negligence in the event of a compo claim.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
If it was dark and the fool had no lights then I'd be appealing the fine if I was the taxi driver. How can you be expected to see someone with no lights (unless the street lighting is sufficiently bright, of course). Yes, peds aren't lit, but then they rarely run alongside the outside of the car on the road..

I actually think the taxi driver's been a bit hard done by here. If the guy had no lights, it would have been difficult to see him!

Agree. The driver must have admitted he didnt look as if he'd said "Well I looked and I couldnt see anything coming in the road so I opened my door" it might have been different.

fimm

Veteran
But - the taxi driver did not look. Therefore no matter what lights the cyclist had, the driver would not have seen him.

kedab

Veteran
Darwin Strikes Back.

haha! yes indeed :biggrin:

But - the taxi driver did not look. Therefore no matter what lights the cyclist had, the driver would not have seen him.

How do we know he definitely did not look? He's being issued with a ticket for not looking but it doesnt mean he didnt, in all likelyhood he could contest it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If it's an urban environment, then it's easily possible to see an unlit cyclist. We all love to complain about ninja cyclists, but they're not that hard to see really.

Top Bottom