Two into One - Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_in_France

As part of my attempts to rationalise and modernise the family bicycle fleet, I am planning to replace my modified 1982 Raleigh Record Ace
IMG_0575.jpeg

and my 2000 Decathlon V1
V1 24Apr05.jpeg

with one quality Audax, built up with parts from these two and others on the shelves.
The V1 is lovely, but in practice no quicker than the Record Ace, and I without 'guards and lights it often doesn't go out in the winter. The Record Ace has done may thousands of miles now and needs a major overhaul, and although it's a 531 frame, I'm sure that a modern 725 version with carbon forks will be lighter ...
Spa's steel (725) Audax looks like an ideal candidate and they sell the fram and forks alone.

The intended spec for the finished bike is:
- 105 / Mavic MA2 rear wheel
- Ultegra dynohub / Mavic MA2 front wheel
- 10 speed (11-32) w 48-34 chainset
- 105 derailleurs w Campag Potenza levers
- mudguards & Longflap saddlebag

Any comments or advice ?

Sharky

Guru
Love the colours on the decathlon.

One Google search implied that the Potenza group set was discontinued?

dimrub

What about the brakes? Are these frame/wheels disc-ready? May make sense if you intend riding in the winter.

And are you taking the saddle off the Raleigh - it's a Brooks, isn't it?

OP
OP
P

Paul_in_France

What about the brakes? Are these frame/wheels disc-ready? May make sense if you intend riding in the winter.

Good question. The intended use is all season, but after over 10 years of all seaon commuting c. 50km a day I have not come close to wearing out the rims, so I'm quite happy with "old fashioned" dual caliper rim brakes. But my "all season" is SW France which is a lot less challenging on the equipment, but more challening on the legs ...

OP
OP
P

Paul_in_France

And are you taking the saddle off the Raleigh - it's a Brooks, isn't it?

The saddle is a Brooks, and yes I will probably re-use that on the new bicycle, not least because it has saddlebag supports built in ...

dimrub

Speaking of weight, have you considered carbon wheels (which would require switching to discs anyway)? If weight reduction is a consideration, this would be the first thing I'd look at. And while on the subject of wheels, have you thought about tires yet - and have you considered going tubeless?

OP
OP
P

Paul_in_France

Speaking of weight, have you considered carbon wheels (which would require switching to discs anyway)? If weight reduction is a consideration, this would be the first thing I'd look at. And while on the subject of wheels, have you thought about tires yet - and have you considered going tubeless?
I have never raced and I don't expect to get into the racing scene, so weight it not an absolute criteria. I have a mountain bicycle with tubeless tyres and I will probably use tubeless for a six month tour in a couple of year time. I've not had a puncture on my road bikes in years now, but I believe that this is due to modern tyres being more resoliant, I change them before they start to get too thin and I keep them well inflated.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
although it's [ the Record Ace] a 531 frame, I'm sure that a modern 725 version with carbon forks will be lighter ...
Spa's steel (725) Audax looks like an ideal candidate and they sell the fram and forks alone.
I ride a Spa Steel Audax and I love it. So there's nothing wrong with that frame. But is it better than your RA 531 frame?? Hmmm 🤔

You say it would be lighter, and perhaps it would ... a bit. But I see you have a big heavy lump of Carradice duck on the back of the RRA. And I'm going to be that (if you're anything like me) there is a load of heavy old rubbish hanging around in that saddlebag that you don't need. And attacking that would be a better weight reduction strategy.

What am I saying? I dunno. I guess I'm saying that if you want a shiny new frame, then weight isn't a great excuse.

Not that you really need an excuse for wanting something shiny and new ;) But it helps.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There is one major flaw with your plan - this wording on the Spa Cycles website : "We are able to ship smaller goods (no bikes, frames, rims, wheels) to Europe/North America/Australasia" which indicates that you will have to come over here and buy the frameset in person as they wiil not ship to France :sad:

Last edited:

EckyH

The intended spec for the finished bike is:
- [...]
- 10 speed (11-32) w 48-34 chainset
- 105 derailleurs w Campag Potenza levers
Afaik the Potenza is 11 speed.
According to this site: https://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-campagnolo-ergopower-compatibility it could work.
What's the reason for you to switch to 10speed (assuming that the Raleigh also has 9speed Ergopowers as the Decathlon)?
Motivation of my question is that I'm doing something similar: 10speed Ergopowers with 9speed Shimano cassettes and Shimano derailleur.
For me the advantage of the 9speed cassettes is that there is still a wide variety of ranges is available and the sprockets could be separated individually. So it is possible to build eg. a 14-28 cassette.

E.

OP
OP
P

Paul_in_France

I ride a Spa Steel Audax and I love it. So there's nothing wrong with that frame. But is it better than your RA 531 frame?? Hmmm 🤔

You say it would be lighter, and perhaps it would ... a bit. But I see you have a big heavy lump of Carradice duck on the back of the RRA. And I'm going to be that (if you're anything like me) there is a load of heavy old rubbish hanging around in that saddlebag that you don't need. And attacking that would be a better weight reduction strategy.

What am I saying? I dunno. I guess I'm saying that if you want a shiny new frame, then weight isn't a great excuse.

Not that you really need an excuse for wanting something shiny and new ;) But it helps.

I hate to admit it, but there is an element of "new and shiny" want in my deliberations.
My Record Ace is a gem, but it draws some negative attention for it's old, long forks and horesontal rear drop outs ...
Afaik the Potenza is 11 speed.
According to this site: https://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-campagnolo-ergopower-compatibility it could work.
What's the reason for you to switch to 10speed (assuming that the Raleigh also has 9speed Ergopowers as the Decathlon)?
Motivation of my question is that I'm doing something similar: 10speed Ergopowers with 9speed Shimano cassettes and Shimano derailleur.
For me the advantage of the 9speed cassettes is that there is still a wide variety of ranges is available and the sprockets could be separated individually. So it is possible to build eg. a 14-28 cassette.

E.

I confirm that the Potenza is 11 speed, but it DOES work (beautifully) with a Shimano 10 speed cassette. A 10 speed cassette is the maximum nuber of cogs that will fit on a 130mm (road) HG rear hub and which has been the standard for over 20 years.
As you correctly identify, bioth my Record Cae and the Decathlon run 10 speed Campag levers with 9 speed cassettes on Shimano HG (105) rear hubs (11-27 for the record).
My move to 10 speed is an attempt to "future proof" my bicycle by adding an extra gear to help climb hills later in life. I'm 58 now and I like to to believe that I can climb as well as I did when I was 38, but at 78 I might appreciate a 32 tooth cog ...

OP
OP
P

Paul_in_France

There is one major flaw with your plan - this wording on the Spa Cycles website : "We are able to ship smaller goods (no bikes, frames, rims, wheels) to Europe/North America/Australasia" which indicates that you will have to come over here and buy the frameset in person as they wiil not ship to France :sad:

Thanks, Brexit !
I've been buying stuff from Spa for over 20 years (the wheels and the chainset on the Record Ace are Spa parts) and I must have originally upset them because they refused to ship to me in France. So I have orders sent to my parents who I visit annually. Will make for a big box to manage on the Eurostar ;-)

Top Bottom