Two rather unexpected outcomes today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joebingo

Über Member
1. Cycling up a hill with a car behind me - he overtakes, and immediately pulls in and parks up at the kerb. So, I put on my angry face, knock on the window, "What was that?" I ask, "You just overtook me and immediately pulled in". Gearing up for a tirade of abuse, I was very taken aback when I received a very timidly spoken "I'm truly very sorry, please forgive me if you feel that I put you in danger". I managed to make a weird coughing noise, and something that may have resembled "be more careful next time.......... have a nice evening".

2. Cycling along on a flat, overtaking another cyclist, I hear a horn coming from behind me, and as I was pulling back in from my manouvre, a car overtakes me. I'm doing a fair old whack, so carry on going - with my angry face on - and catch up at a red traffic light. I pull up alongside, and knock on the window, the driver starts to gesticulate and do that whole "What is your effing problem?" thing and winds down the window. "Why did you blow your horn at me?" I ask, given his initial response I was really gearing up for a bit of a battle here. I had my road tax argument sorted, I was ready to explain the benifits of the primary position on roads with potholes all over the place. Instead, I was given a huge, beaming smile and he said "Sorry if I frightened you, I was just warning you that I was about to overtake". I had a little chuckle, and told him that that sort of thing could have a cyclist fall off their bike, and that the sound of a looming engine is generally enough warning, and that I'd seen him the last time I looked over my shoulder.

Are drivers changing, or are they finding cleverer ways to disarm us?

Adasta

From what I can gather, your "angry face" is truly terrifying and has resulted in the immediate subjugation of all "motons" you encounter.

I demand a pic.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Like this:-

angry%2Bface.jpg

When I was taught to drive, I was told (and ive heard many others say this) that usage of the horn is okay show someone you are about to overtake (it is the proper usage of the horn to show someone you are there).

Not that its often suitable in the RL tbh, its not very easy to make a horn not sound aggressive.

Top Bottom