Two thirds of a million bikes stolen each year in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Yes but France still do and according to a radio programme I listened to some time ago they are the only country that still do.

Well France is the only country world wide that has civil servents employed to investigate UFO sightings so maybe they do have surplus....
The usa is told the have an ''area 51'' loaded with captured alien life forms or just secret weapons, depending on which foil hat wearer you ask.

lane

Veteran
Anyway in an attempt not to derail the the thread which I fear I might have done - perhaps the Government will redeploy UFO hunters to run the bike registration scheme. Difficult to know which is more pointless.

Anyway in an attempt not to derail the the thread which I fear I might have done - perhaps the Government will redeploy UFO hunters to run the bike registration scheme. Difficult to know which is more pointless.
As long as cars with an international recognised vin number system still get stolen, the registration of bikes won't change much. I might re-united one or two stolen bikes who have been stolen by an junkie en sold off locally for example but that's about it. But yeah maybe the alien hunters can help.. the problem is they are government funded most government funded operations are not that efficient

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed. Being registered never stopped the light fingered from helping themselves to other people's stuff. The French Government clearly don't understand the difference between 'registered' and 'welded to the ground, and guarded by a sqaud of trigger happy Leigionnaires', which is a little worrying when one thinks about it.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Plan Velo sounds like a bargain. It pays for itself really. If you take the headline figures it is only €1 per bike stolen per year for the next 500 years.

lane

Veteran
Sorry, I'm getting confused. Are bikes in France are being abducted by aliens?

Makes you wonder. I had three bikes stolen and replaced all three on insurance. So that's now three more bikes in use. Given the figures for stolen bikes quoted if even a proportion are replaced soon there will be a lot of extra bikes.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Given the figures for stolen bikes quoted if even a proportion are replaced soon there will be a lot of extra bikes.

Not necessarily. Total bike demand is approximately limited by the number of people interested in cycling and willing to buy bikes rather than hire them. The total number out there is not going to expand at the same rate they are being stolen. Some people will buy a secondhand stolen bike rather than buying a new one, other stolen ones will get rendered down into spare parts and cease to exist as complete bikes. Some won't get replaced at all because their owners will give up riding after one gets nicked, so reducing demand. There are a lot of factors that influence the size of the total pool of bicycles in the country.

Top Bottom