Tyler's book

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Okay, you erudite, well-read literary critics...

...not you Noods...

What's the opinion of the book? Persuasive, well-written, worth buying?

Is the US version substantially different from the UK one?

I heard that Fab even gets a mention - anything worth relaying?

Should I buy it or wait till Noodles lends it to me:whistle:?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Pass noods copy on when you've finished with it, rich.

thom

____
For my part, things are currently getting sticky with Bjarne Riis. Think I have the UK version.
Sean Yates had a passing mention earlier...
Anyhow, what's the score regarding spoilers on this thread ?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
For my part, things are currently getting sticky with Bjarne Riis. Think I have the UK version.
Sean Yates had a passing mention earlier...
Anyhow, what's the score regarding spoilers on this thread ?
Spoil away - only an idiot would read a thread about a book he didn't want to read about!

thom

____
Spoil away - only an idiot would read a thread about a book he didn't want to read about!
OK, so what I really wasn't expecting was when NASA started getting USPostal to try out the drugs they give astronauts to help their high altitude performance...

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
OK, so what I really wasn't expecting was when NASA started getting USPostal to try out the drugs they give astronauts to help their high altitude performance...
Really? Were the drugs on the banned list?

thom

____
But seriously, a few points so far:
1) I did feel some sympathy for LA at one point, early on where he's lying to explain his miraculous TdF performance, saying the very fact he was alive was miraculous
2) Sean Yates... big mate of LA (before Tyler's time), knew Phillipe / Motoman
3) OK it's written in the first person, Tyler's voice but by Dan Coyle of course and you get this nice folksy persona but also nothing approaching the self awareness or harsh critical self analysis of David Millar's book, at least so far. There's only a small sense of painful disillusionment at the choice to dope
4) Blood doping mechanics - effing dodgy to put it mildly - to get 3 bags of blood ready for a grand tour, you start 10 weeks before taking out 1, 4 weeks later you take out 2 from your body and reintroduce the first, a few weeks later you take out 3 and put back 2.

Okay, you erudite, well-read literary critics...

...not you Noods...

What's the opinion of the book? Persuasive, well-written, worth buying?

Is the US version substantially different from the UK one?

I heard that Fab even gets a mention - anything worth relaying?

Should I buy it or wait till Noodles lends it to me:whistle:?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Whether its good or not I ordered it last night from Amazon £16 and look forward to reading it.There is a great interview on BBCI PLAYER -Hardtalk if you are interested.
I listened to that. It was a decent interview but didn't take it much further which makes me think that I've heard all I need to hear from TH. That's not to say that the minutiae in the book isn't worth reading,

Top Bottom