Types of Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eoin Rua

Possibly not specific to Commuting, but anyhow...

Got thinking the other night - which type of driver do you think is potentially worse, those who react to you (i.e. by taking primary/avoiding the door zone) or those who seem completely oblivious to the fact you are there?

You know the times when a vehicle is behind you and perhaps trying to, or indeed, squeezing past and you turn to look (or glare) at them do you think it is better to get some sort of reaction - with the thinking that at least they're perhaps aware of what they may have done wrong - or those who go about their business unaware of how close they were to you?

:tongue:

Generally, drivers don't want to run over cyclists. Even the ones who spout off about how they would love to, generally wouldn't have the guts to actually do it (thank goodness). The real nutters are very, very rare, fortunately.

Thus, I think a reaction, be it good or bad, is nearly always a good thing. It means they have seen you.

I don't know why, but I've decided there are two types of WVM; m-f WVM who behave exactly like you say and 7d WVM who take life a bit more relaxed and are the exact opposite; hold back pass wide etc.
I also find certain (not all) owners of german automobiles (particularly bmw's) and 4x4's are complete pr1cks like you describe Eoin.

I should add, the closest I have ever come to a serious cropper, was where a driver (tanker driver) just didn't see me. At least I hope he didn't see me! :ohmy:xx(

Crankarm

Guru
magnatom said:
Generally, drivers don't want to run over cyclists. Even the ones who spout off about how they would love to, generally wouldn't have the guts to actually do it (thank goodness). The real nutters are very, very rare, fortunately.

Thus, I think a reaction, be it good or bad, is nearly always a good thing. It means they have seen you.

There may be just a few more of them than that, say 2% of drivers. Though you only need one to kill or seriously injure you :tongue:.

Although it was very poor (no!, worse than that) magnatom. I was a little bit surprised it was a Tanker I wouldn't of classed them as dangerous driver if you look out for them but yours was!
The closest I came was very similar; except I was a yard further forward, directly in front of a 4x4. Unfortunately I would class most! 4x4 drivers idiots. Fortunately it was dry and they were able to stop 2 inches from my left leg but I thought I was a gonner then. Probably not surprising, they sped off; it was the following car that stopped to see if I was OK.

Gandalf

Veteran
HLaB said:
I don't know why, but I've decided there are two types of WVM; m-f WVM who behave exactly like you say and 7d WVM who take life a bit more relaxed and are the exact opposite; hold back pass wide etc.
I also find certain (not all) owners of german automobiles (particularly bmw's) and 4x4's are complete pr1cks like you describe Eoin.

As a WVM myself I would certainly aspire to be in the latter category.

BSRU

A Human Being
I seem to find women driving red mini's need to watched very closely, several incidents involving these drivers.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
HLaB said:
Although it was very poor (no worse than that) magnatom.
:wacko::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Words fail me.

Very poor??? Is that all???

Jesus!

a comma makes all the difference HLab :wacko:

My worst experiences have always been people unaware of how fast a bike can be. Seeing a bike coming towards them and just going for the next manoeuvre across their path.

My worst drivers must have the following method of reasoning;
If it is a bike, turn quickly or end up waiting for a few seconds.
If it is not a bike, gauge speed then judge before the manoeuvre.

Not vicious, but pretty frightening and potentially dangerous.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
HLaB said:
... and 4x4's are complete pr1cks like you describe Eoin.
Out in the countryside 4x4's are driven by considerate folks who use them for what they were intended:biggrin:.
I spose in the city drivers of 4x4's are probably mums on the school run or would be country squires who have never been off road except over a couple of kerbs;).

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
2Loose said:
a comma makes all the difference HLab :thumbsup:
I'd not considered that you'd simply missed a comma out, but assumed that you thought it wasn't a particularly bad piece of driving. :ohmy::blush:

I'll forgive you your grammatical faux pas. :wacko:

Alan Whicker

The most aggro I've had has been from London's Famous Black Cab Drivers (TM). One even shunted me from behind at Tower Hill a fortnight ago because I wasn't launching myself into Lower Thames Street's 40mph traffic quick enough for his liking. Reported him to the PCO and the Police. Just one of several incidents - the most recent being called a 'F****** P****' for daring to question why he was driving right at me on the wrong side of the road.

Top Bottom