Tyre advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Following on from my "Slime tubes" thread, I want some of your expert advice on tyres....

As you may know the bike is fitted with and OEM version of the Schwalbe Smart Sam which has 50TPI ....

When I come to change the tyres I would like something better and more puncture proof... So far I have been recommended two tyres..

1. The Schwalbe G-One allround "microskin"
2. The Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard...

Now, the sizes on my tyres are: - 44-622, 28x1.65 and 700-42C

It seems that the 700-42C is only available in the Schwalbe Smart Sam..

If I went for the other two what size would you recommend? do I go down to one of the following

The Schwalbe G-One allround - 40-622 (28 x 1.50, 700x38C) MicroSkin, TL Easy, E-25

Or

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour - 42-622 (28 x 1.60, 700x40C) SmartGuard, E-25 or 47-622 (28 x 1.75, 700x40C SmartGuard, E-25

How would the size compare to the Smart Sam 700x42C dimension wise?

Stuart

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Go Marathon Original Greenguard 700x35, told you so before :tongue: :whistle:
Really, joking aside, a wee bit narrower than x42, like you have now, will make you go faster :bicycle:

The M+ will be absolutely bulletproof proof, but the compromise is the relative difficulty in fitting / removing them. The maximum size I use on my Hybrids are 37mm, 40mm is huge for a non mountain bike tyre.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thank you all :smile: Been out again today and the repair I did last week held up, not bad seeing as I have not fixed a puncture on a bike in 35 years or more lol

I intend to use the bike on roads mostly, maybe the odd track nothing too major.. yet ;)

Top Bottom