Tyre blow out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lozcs

Guru
Booked on the 'Cannon Hill - Extreme Stong" Sky ride local today. Other than the Skyride Birmingham my first group ride.

Got 3.3 miles into the 30mile ride and BANG! sounded like someone had been shot! My tyre completly blew out...

God knows why this happened - Tyres were "Michelin 3 Race" - with about 1k miles on them. tyre pressure was about 7.5 bar (max 8 on tyre wall) and tube wasn't twisted?? Wasn't going fast at the time and didn't seem like I rode over any bumps.... Weird...

The rest of the group carried on as there was no way to repair and no one was carrying a spare tyre I could pinch/borrow/buy- luckily was only 3 miles away and friend returned to get his van while I waited. Shame as was looking forward to this all week!

Any ideas what might have caused this??

photo1.JPG
photo.JPG

A mate of mine got a refund on Pro Race 3's after he had a few similarly blow out. His PSI was high but lower than the recommended :ohmy:

The damage is to the bead.

My guess is that the tyre has come off the rim at that point, the tube has also emerged and then punctured in an almighty bang.

OP
OP
lozcs

lozcs

Guru
Had the tyres been fitted new and never been taken off since, or have you punctured and had The tyre off and on a few times?

Had a puncture on this wheel about a month and 350 miles ago?

Did 43mph a couple of weeks ago - good job it didn't happen then!!

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I only ask as sometimes when taking tyres off the rim with tyre levers, you can force the bead away from the tyre, if this happens you'll get a weak spot on the side wall. Then if the tyre pulls away from the bead some more it can suddenly bulge out, the inner tube then bulges out and pinches on the rim with an almity bang. Just a thought, Other to that it's a problem when manufactured I would of thought. It could of been nasty like you say if you were descending at speed.

OP
OP
lozcs

lozcs

Guru
Again!!!

Put these red Michelin Pro 3's on when last one blew out...

newtyres.JPG

About 500 miles later and notice this on the train home today...

photo2.JPG

Managed to make it home via the shortest route - inside pic...

photo.JPG

That's 2x newish Michelin tyres knackered in two months - even the cheapo Kendal tyres the bike came with lasted about 2.5k

Loved the look of these tyres (when clean :shy: ) but not sure I'm confident in Michelin tyres again....

OP
OP
lozcs

lozcs

Guru
I've contacted Michelin - sent a link to this thread as well - see what they say....

Not sure I can handle much more time with odd tyres (maybe a little OCD ;-)

Confirmation of sending

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, your message was successfully sent.We will respond to you as soon as we can.

Running with a red tyre on the front and a black on the back now -

andrew_s

Legendary Member
With the first puncture, a guess would be that the inner tube was trapped between tyre bead and rim, and that the tyre bead was damaged when the tyre eventually went bang.
You can also get bead failure from badly positioned brake blocks or the tyre rubbing through on the rim hook if run soft for too long, but the damage looks too low down for that.

The second is the sort of thing that happens when you run over the edge of a small stone which then rolls, allowing the tyre to slip off it.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That does look like a gash caused by a stone/metal schrapnell.

I'd be tempted to use a more endurance based tyre, something like a Michelin krylion/Pro 4 Endurance, Vitorria Zaffiro or a Schwalbe Durano as they are less prone to punctures than lighter racing models. Those are tow dofferent failure modes though so I think you've just been unlucky.

Also think about getting a tyre boot (or making one out of the dead tyre) to cover things like that in the future.

Top Bottom