Tyre blown off Stans Grail rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Tyre: Continetal GP 4 season 25mm
Tube: Continental Race 28 - 18-25mm
Rim: Stans Grail
95 PSI.

Bit of an odd one, this: the tyres were fitted last Thursday, and I did about 100km on Saturday without incident. This morning, I found that the rear tyre had blown off the rim, but the front was ok. My first thought was incorrect fitting (e.g. a pinched tube) but it's curious that the tyre went a few days and a longish ride before letting go. My second thought was that if my track pump gauge under reads, that coupled with the recent warm weather (it gets hot in my garage) could've increased pressure enough to exceed the limit. The front tyre was inflated 10 PSI less and is unaffected.

Any thoughts?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I would check pressure with another gauge first. Im sure you would have noticed if it wasnt seated right.

MALT

I had a similar thing happen. I had over inflated my tyre with a frame mounted pump without a gauge.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I had a tyre explode on a hot day, thankfully it was at the cafe stop.
The tube had ripped at the valve. Mind, it was a very old tube, inflated many times, never punctured though.

OP
OP
U

User482

You would think that the tube would have a long slit from bursting as the tyre bead lifted off, but it was actually a small hole, the kind you would get if you pinched the tube under the tyre bead when fitting. What I don't understand is how I could ride 60 miles on it without a problem!

Anyway, new tube fitted, tyre double checked for correct seating, no tyre lever used and inflated 10 PSI less than last time. Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom