Tyre blowout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Hi all,

I was cycling along today, braking gently and with a loud bang the tyre blew. 8cm long split in innertube along the side. The tyre was blown off on that part of the wheel?

Am I right in thinking the cause is probably the inner tube being caught in the tyre wall? I did patch a puncture a few days ago, Gatorskin 23mm tyre was inflated to 120psi today (100kg me).

Don't fancy it happening again so been super-jumpy riding the rest of the way!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I once had an 'egg' in a schwalbe tyre. It wasn't the tube.
One day on a ride it got bigger over a matter of 3 seconds

Kerpow!

It blew a blooming great hole through the tyre! I was slowing down and looking at the tyre when it happened. Nearly pooed my pants!

Tim Hall

I'm pretty sure that gets you a snake-bite puncture, but I haven't done it, so can't say.

My (ill-informed) guess would be a faulty tube.
I'd say not. If you get a loud bang it's because the tube has escaped from the tyre and exploded like an excitable balloon. Amongst the causes for the tube escaping from the tyre are: Tyre becoming unseated. Suitably sized hole in the tyre casing - badly aligned brake blocks can do this. Other causes are probably available.

Kajjal

Guru
I am also a ripped 100kg Adonis and used to use 23mm tyres. My current bike came with roubaix pro 25mm tread / 28mm case tyres which are much smoother when riding and no need for anything close to 120psi. I would look at wider tyres as it smooths out the riding considerably, just make sure you have the clearance for them.

This is a good guide to fitting tyres easily with little effort, you don't even need the straps and they go on easily by hand with no effort. I was surprised how easy it is when you do it properly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

If there was a bang, the tube was outside the tyre when it ruptured. Anything that happens inside the tyre goes off as a hiss.

Either the tyre/rim combo couldn't handle 120 PSI or the tube was trapped under the bead. No-one knows because the symptoms and remaining evidence is the same.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Am I right in thinking the cause is probably the inner tube being caught in the tyre wall? I did patch a puncture a few days ago, Gatorskin 23mm tyre was inflated to 120psi today (100kg me).
That would point to you having trapped the tube. After fitting a tyre it is best to only put a few pounds of pressure in then go round the bead making sure no part of the tube is caught under it.

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Thanks all. I guess likely trapped tube then, surprised it took so long to go. The tube itself is fairly old but doesn't appear to be perished or marked at all around the split. It's always been run at 120psi

With the 23s I've ridden on them for so long that I just like the way they feel on the bike. I don't doubt if I rode on 25s or 28s for long enough I'd get used to them too, but I quite like the "white knuckle ride" you get on 23s.

Hopefully a one off, definitely pleased it happened at low speed!

IMG_20170924_223647.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's good when it happens in the middle of town, people dun'thalf jump
DAMHIKT but it was in 79 and the IRA were all the rage at the time. :ohmy:

Tim Hall

I've had a tyre blow off the rim due to the rim being old and worn. Taking the tyre up to (or over) operating pressure causes the rim walls to flex outwards. Ping goes the tyre bead. Bang goes the tube. Feck me, that was loud goes the rider.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Many years ago when mountain biking in snow, my brakes iced up and would hardly work. Unknown to me one rear pad had also picked up a piece of grit and when I descended a hill with the brake pulled on tight and hardly working at all the shard of grit machined a nice groove in the braking surface of the rim. The next time I went out I pumped the tyre quite hard and less than 50 yards into the ride the added strain proved too much and a neat strip of rim peeled outwards in a perfect aluminium arc, releasing the tube, which didn't burst but wrapped itself round the wheel and stays like a small black anaconda. End of ride. After that I learned to replace my own rims by taping the new alongside the old and transferring the spokes over one by one.

Top Bottom