Tyre burst problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

qpw

Yesterday I had a tyre burst. I was going slowly in a straight line so it wasn't a problem at the time.

As soon as I'd pushed the bike home I ordered a new tyre and inner-tube (Michelin City) which is apparently being delivered today.

My problem is that I cannot work out why the tyre burst.

On the tyre itself there is a tear around 3 inches long at the point where the tyre meets the rim. (There are a series of 'dots' around the tyre at this position.) There is no sign of unusual wear on the tyre (the brake blocks were checked and not fouling), just the tear. The rim is perfectly smooth all round. The tyre was inflated to 85psi.

The inner-tube has a ragged hole around 1/2" x 1/4" but it is about 8 inches away from the tear in the tyre.

I want to get the bike back in operation as soon as I can but as I can't come up with any explanation for what happened I'm a little concerned that there is an undiagnosed problem that may cause a repeat.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Possibly a fault in the tyre. How old is the tyre ?

OP
OP
Q

qpw

I'm not sure but It's over a year and under three. It appears to be in perfectly good condition apart from the tear.

I'd really like to know why the hole in the tube does is nowhere near the split in the casing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The hole in the tube is probably to do with pressure - once the tube starts to break free, somewhere will give. Don't worry about it. I've exploded rims, which wrecked the tyre and tube - just get new. Sometimes road debris can cause enough of a split in the sidewall. I've had nearly new tyres be confined to the bin from crap on the roads.

Top Bottom