Tyre choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfa GT

Hi all

I've just wangled another set of rims so I now have two identical sets of wheels for my GT grade 2016 105 and want one to be for cross country (fields, etc) blasts and the other purely for fast road use. Anyone already done this and have any advise on tyres I should be using? I usually just use all-rounders like conti GP 4 seasons but now I have two sets of wheels I can get tyres more specific to either job. I have about 5 options for my route to work and all have very different surface types. I do a lot of road as this is the quickest and I want to get home but the fun one is the fields in the wet!

Thanks
Ad

Last edited:
Hi all

I've just wangled another set of rims so I now have two identical sets of wheels for my GT grade 2016 105 and want one to be for cross country (fields, etc) blasts and the other purely for fast road use. Anyone already done this and have any advise on tyres I should be using? I usually just use all-rounders like conti GP 4 seasons but now I have two sets of wheels I can get tyres more specific to either job.

Thanks
Ad

I’d use something like a Schwalbe Racing Ralph for cross country use, and there’s a load of tyres out there that would work for fast road riding. I would personally avoid Continental tyres at this time of year, as their handling and rolling characteristics, are negated by their fragility ( in my experience). Pirelli P Zero Velo are getting good reviews so far. My go to tyres of choice, giving a good compromise of speed / handling and p* protection / wear / durability are Michelin Pro 4 endurance, and my preferred p* protected tyres are Schwalbe Durano + on my road bikes, or Marathon + on the Hybrids. I also have one road bike, on Tannus airless tyres, for when I really don’t want to be messing around with p* fixing ( shorter, cold dark winter rides mostly).

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

Thanks some good suggestions. the 32mm Racing Ralphs are only £21 from planet X at the moment so might get a set while they're so cheap. Bit skeptical about how long their stock has been laying around for sometimes though... I'll have a look at the Pirelli's as well

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

I like the Vittoria Randonnuer plus folding tyres which I have found to suit the bike in terms of speed and robustness.
They seem to be do it all tyres, I really want tyres specific for either off or on road as I've got two sets of wheels.... might get some for my misses' hybrid though as they seem to be sell cheap at the moment!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yes just acquired my self a 2nd hand Arkose and bought a set if spare rims. I just have the stock 32mm semi nobblies for off road, one road I have some cheap 28mm lifeline ones that look and feel like Conti gatorskins, as its winter bike for limited use. If I was spending more, Id have gone for 28mm Conti 4 seasons for the road tyre. I run conti 4 season on the posh bike too (25mm)

NickNick

I've recently switched to Schawlbe One on the the road bike, they've been on offer reduced to £22-£25 with a few of the online retailers so decided to give them ago and I'm really pleased with the switch.

Top Bottom