tyre dilemma?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

photography27

hi, my specialized secteur came with 700*25 tyres, i now need new tyres, so to clarify things for me...can i put 700*23 on with the original inner tubes or do i buy inner tubes as well, and what will the diff be in performance if i do switch to 70*23?

i seen some 700*23 on a bike today and they looked very skinny compared with my 25's!!
thank you in advance
mik

potsy

Rambler
I doubt you'd notice much difference tbh, as for the tubes they should have a size printed on them but I would expect them to fit OK.
Best thing is it's easier to get guards to fit should you want to.

OP
OP
photography27

photography27

reason i'm asling is i like the coloured tyres, but i cant find any for the 25's.....which i dont understand why?
also i want some good protection from punctures....2 in 2 days

The existing tubes will most likely be marked 700x18-25mm or 700x20-28mm or something similar, if so they're suitable for any 700mm tyre that has a width in between this range(ie 18-25 or 20-28) and photography27 will be fine.

The main reason you don't get coloured tyres in larger sizes is there's not too much demand for them. As potsy says you will hardly notice the difference between a 25mm and 23mm tyre when you are riding. Theoretically the tyre should roll easier/ faster though. What brand/model are you considering some folk here might give you an indication of the p'ture performance.

OP
OP
photography27

photography27

the tyres supplied with my bike where specialized all condition type.
one puncture was a shared of glass that just slit my tyre and straight into the inner tube, so i dont think any form of puncture protection would of helped with that puncture.
i was also thinking of the slime innertube, that self seals if you get a puncture, its only £10 for one innertube, i would be prepared to pay that if they work, anybody use them?
maybe stick with the 25's if there is no diff in performance, i just wanted a bit of colour lol

Captain

One of the guys in my office has the off-road version of those Halo tyres in green and they look ace, the colour is really bright.
I wanted yellow in 25C but unfortunately Halo don't do them.

I did however find that Continental do the GP4000 in yellow and they reportedly have good puncture resistance

e-rider

crappy member
new tubes cost peanuts anyway - one puncture and they are in the bin - I wouldn't use patches at 120psi

You can notice a difference between 23s and 25s unless you're the sort of rider that cruises along oblivious to the bike they are sitting on ie. those guys that do charity rides with their gears making all kinds of noises and their pedals clicking with every revolution - drives me nuts listening to that so I usually sprint off for some quiet!

Get some michelin Pro 3 Race - come in all colours too but I prefer black - coloured ones remind me of kids' BMXs in the 1980s

Top Bottom