Tyre failure(?) - correct terminology? Cause?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some advice would be much appreciated - I've a 700Cx25 Schwalbe Durano front tyre that looks to have failed but I'm struggling with:

(a) how to describe the failure - it's as though the tyre has delaminated along the middle
(b) is it a terminal failure - I've assumed it's junk and have fitted a replacement
(c) the cause - front tyre only, 15 months old, <500 miles. An identical rear tyre was installed at the same time as isn't showing the same problem...

IMG_20190907_151821666.jpg IMG_20190907_152306607.jpg

Thanks for any pointers,
Simon

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not good. I found Durano's would wear well, upto the blue protection strip showing through. Does look like early failure, but not knowing how the bike is stored (in daylight all the time) and 15months, you will just need to get new.

You could email schwalbe and see how they respond

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Does look like a fault. I'd contact your supplier in the first instance as your contract of sale is with them, and see what they say. They will probably pass it on the Schwalbe.

D

Deleted member 1258

That looks like a fault, mine are going strong having done over 2000 miles and I've had 5 - 6000 miles over 2 years out of previous tyres.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Your tyre is also my tyre of choice for my commuting/touring bike so does many thousands of miles over a year. I wouldn't expect any problem from the tyre like yours so would also say it's a faulty one.

OP
OP
simon_adams_uk
Thanks all - I'll get in touch with Schwalbe and see what they say...

silva

Über Member
So far any return about it?
A possible cause may have been a long stored new/unused tyre, rubber detoriated before you started to use it.

Top Bottom