Tyre failure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Roscoe

Roscoe

Veteran
Mmmm, I'll have a check of the brakes when I'm fitting a new tyre. Changed the blocks about a month ago.

Looks like my lack of mechanical prowess may have struck! I'm thinking one the Evans maintenance courses may be with a look.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Looks like it's the wall of the tyre, just above the bead.

View attachment 76016
Ironically I've had an old Bontrager tyre do exactly the same to me today.

Its picture perfect for your image.

Mine is a well used and well worn tyre tho & the bang when the tube went was quite loud.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Mmmm, I'll have a check of the brakes when I'm fitting a new tyre. Changed the blocks about a month ago.

Looks like my lack of mechanical prowess may have struck! I'm thinking one the Evans maintenance courses may be with a look.

Easily done. The brake pads should hit the rim fairly flat on without overlapping over the top or bottom. To qvoid squeaing, the front of the pads should be slightly nearer the rim. They may look fine until fully applied - but in the full on position they must not come into contact with the tyre.

OP
OP
Roscoe

Roscoe

Veteran
Thanks for the advice folks, I'll look at adjusting the brakes.

Tyre recommendations? Looking for puncture resistance but would like something simple to remove and fit given it always seems to take me an age! The Duranos were fairly simple. Looked at Conti Gatorskins but some of the reviews suggest they can be tricky to remove and fit.

screenman

Legendary Member
Is there a bump in the rim, I would expect to see the black coating worn evenly around the rim, where as it looks like the block was catching a high spot there. Obviously I can only see the part of the rim shown. Certainly looks like the blocks are set a bit off, as others have said.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Thanks for the advice folks, I'll look at adjusting the brakes.

Tyre recommendations? Looking for puncture resistance but would like something simple to remove and fit given it always seems to take me an age! The Duranos were fairly simple. Looked at Conti Gatorskins but some of the reviews suggest they can be tricky to remove and fit.
I've got Conti GP 4000s II and they've been great, fairly good puncture resistance and good grip too. I've ridden them all year round, up muddy, soggy leaved country lanes, although the GP 4 Seasons may be better. Unfortunately they're not the cheapest of tyres.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Quite possibly the rim has been squashing down on the sidewall and grit has eroded it. I've seen it happen with wide mountain bike tyres on narrow rims.

I don't believe any tyre is harder or easier to fit. You just need talc as a dry lubricant and good technique.

screenman

Legendary Member
Must say, in all the years I have been changing tyres I have never used talc on them.

Took it off, it's about a cm up from the bead. Brakes not rubbing. Looked frayed around the whole tyre just above the bead. Need to order a new tyre now, something puncture resistant, probably not Schwalbe.
Don't let that put you of Shwalbe. I only use Shwalbe ranging from Lugano in winter right through to Ultremo ZLX and Shwalbe One's. Never had a problem and the One's are fantastic.:thumbsup:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can't believe how many people don't use talc as a lubricant for sticky rubber! Divers use it on drysuit cuffs and latex gloves have talc or corn flour inside. I was taught from an early age to talc a puncture patch so as to prevent it from sticking to the inside of the tyre. Talc is an important part of the cyclist's tool kit. Once you've applied talc, any new tyre can be fitted using just thumb pressure.

A rim will press down on a tyre and erode the bead if the tyre is squashing out through under-inflation or being too wide.

screenman

Legendary Member
I just have never needed it, I see your puncture point, but I never repair on the road.

Not saying talc is wrong, just some of us do not need it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You'll kick yourself when you do try it and see how easy it makes tyre fitting, especially with clean sticky new rubber.

Top Bottom