Tyre Fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan Farroll

Hi,

I have a set of 40x700 cyclecross tyres. A friend of mine purchased a hybrid with 38x700 rims. Would my 40x700 tyres be suitable for his hybrid so that he could tackle a bit of mild off roading, i.e. forest tracks etc? I am concerned that because the 40x700 are slightly broader they might come off!!

Thnaks

AJF

they won't come off unless his rims where already at their maximum which is unlikely. What is more possibly a problem would be clearances between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the forks or mudguard but without knowing more about the bike it is hard to advise.
However, he should be able to tackle a 'bit of mild off roading' on what he has tbh - I do on 700x23c tyres and only have issues with muddy sections... (though I am probably pushing what my road bike should/can do even fitted with cyclocross wheels! :whistle:

U

User6179

The recommended size for a tyre is 1.5 - 2 times the width of inside the rim so if a wheel is 622-15 then the recommended size is about 23-30mm .
My Caadx came with 35 mm tyres on a 622-15 so is possible the OP is past the recommended size to begin with.
A wider than recommended tyre might feel a bit unstable on cornering so be careful .

Top Bottom