Tyre going down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kal el

I pumped my back tire up a month ago on my mtb, I was riding into work yesterday and a college told me that my tire was looking flat. the tube is only about 6 months old. does any one know why it keeps going down? thanks.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: to the site.

The most likely answer to the question is that it has a slow puncture. If you've picked up a thorn they can often stay in place, slightly plugging the hole, so the tyre only goes down slowly.

Having said that, if you pumped it up a month ago it will naturally have lost some pressure over that time. Did you use a gauge or did you pump it up 'til it felt firm? If the latter it was probably at a lower pressure than you'd think.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to CC.

Some tubes seem to hold air better than others so it might not be a slow puncture. Check the tube in the time honoured bowl of water way.
You should top them up once a month with a track pump and gauge.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I pump my tyres up on the commuter once a week,tyres loose a bit naturally over time .
About 10 psi is what I have to put in most of the time,that's to top it up to running pressure not total, MTB tyres will be a lower psi I'm guessing 50 ISH?

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Mine loose about 15 psi a month (1/4 of the pressure). They always have so consider it normal.

If your new to cycling then you may be letting to much air escape (hissing) when you remove the pump from the valve. There is a nack to it that comes with experience and jiggling.

To check for a slow puncture just visually examine the wheel slowly for thorns etc. If you find something suspect you can spray some soapy water on it and look for bubbles.

Check that the valve is perpendicular to the rim and not stressed at an angle as this can cause the valve to tear from the tube.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: All tyres need pumping up once in a while, I do mine once a week.

TVC

Welcome. As everyone above has said, don't expect bike tyres to hold pressure like car tyres, the volume of air is much less, so even very small losses will show up as a pressure drop. I always give my tyres a quick squeeze before every ride, and pump them up/pressure check them every time I clean my bikes.

snorri

Legendary Member
I pumped my back tire up a month ago on my mtb,
If you have not already got a track pump, I recommend you consider buying one with an inbuilt gauge. They make the job of checking and topping up tyre pressures so easy that it is no longer a chore. My track pump is the best cycling accessory I've ever bought!
Here's a link to get you started, https://www.evanscycles.com/buying-guides/pumps
but there are many suppliers and a big range of track pumps at varying prices.

Alan O

Über Member
If you have not already got a track pump, I recommend you consider buying one with an inbuilt gauge. They make the job of checking and topping up tyre pressures so easy that it is no longer a chore. My track pump is the best cycling accessory I've ever bought!
I strongly second that.

Before my 20-year hiatus, leisure cyclists didn't use track pumps - we used the standard old-fashioned style and just pumped away until things sort of felt right. It often took a fair bit of hard work to get the tyres pumped up enough, and there was no way to easily repeat the feat consistently.

Cue forward to my cycling resurgence which started last year, and everyone was using track pumps - and they're not expensive, so I got one to try (mine is a Blackburn). And it's brilliant. It's a lot easier to use than the old style, handles higher pressures much better, takes far fewer (longer) strokes. And with the gauge, it's consistently repeatable.

I think it only cost about £25 - it's one of the best value tools I've ever bought.

:welcome: All tyres need pumping up once in a while, I do mine once a week.
Not strictly true.

IMG_4343.JPG

:laugh:

OP
OP
kal el

kal el

Thanks every one. I do own a track pump but it doesn't have a gauge. I bought it from Argos for £11. I have been on my bike today for the first time since Friday and the tire does feel like its losing pressure again. I guess it could be a faulty valve. I haven't had to pump up my front tire since I got it 6 months ago. I will do a check on my next day off. thanks

Top Bottom